8022 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

32 bit kernel on an L1000 machine

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sal Fuoti_1

32 bit kernel on an L1000 machine

Sorry for the last post hit the wrong key.
My question is, I recently purchased an L1000 for some development purposes. I had not realized the it will only load the 64 bit HP-UX kernel. The developers wanted to know if it were possible to recomplie the kernel to make it run a 32 bit kernel? They wat to use it to develop some 32 bit code that doesn't conform perfectly to all the rules necessary to compile and run on the 64 bit kernel. Thanks for any help
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 32 bit kernel on an L1000 machine

Nope! It can't be done. An L1000 can only run 64-bit. That's it. Nothing else.

Now it is still possible via compiler switches for your programmers to compile 32-bit programs on this box. That should not be a problem. The will need to read documentation to figure out how to do that. The 64-bit OS will also run 32-bit programs quite easily.

Sal Fuoti_1

Thank you for the quick reply. So if our developers compile their programs that wern't written to the "best of standards" will they still compile and run on other 32 bit machines? This is critical to them because most if not all the machines the program will be running on will be 32 bit kernels.

Thanks again
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

As long as they compile them as 32-bit programs, yes they should work. You also need to keep in mind that programs compiled on HP-UX 11.0 will probably run on HP-UX 11.11, BUT probably NOT on 10.20 and programs compiled on HP-UX 11.11 will probably NOT run on HP-UX 11.0 or 10.20 no matter what their "bitness" is.
Sundar_7
Honored Contributor

As mentioned above, you cannot have a 32-bit kernel on a L1000 machine.

getconf KERNEL_BITS will tell you the current kernel word-width

getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS will tell you if your system supports both the 32 and 64 bit kernels. (I believe K-class systems support both 32 and 64 bit kernel).

Learn What to do ,How to do and more importantly When to do ?