Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1752522 Members
5063 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

5.1b tru64 boot extremely slowly

Ramazan_3

5.1b tru64 boot extremely slowly

we have 5.1b trucluster system on GS320 machines. Also Oracle 9.2.0.4 RAC installed.
Both nodes boot extremely slowly, it takes one hour and there is no errors while booting.
Is there any one who is faced with this problem?
12 REPLIES 12
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 5.1b tru64 boot extremely slowly

What kind of storage?
How many adapters and LUN's?
Any particular point during the boot where you loose a lot of time?
Ramazan_3

storage is EMC DMX.
2 Emulex adapters and cluster boots from SAN.
and we have 11 LUNs.
thanks for your help
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Hello
Once I had simular problem because of vm kernel parameters. Can you post your vm kernel parameters? How much RAM memory do you have?
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Ramazan_3

I only changed the followings ;
new_wire_method = 0
vm_swap_eager = 0
the other parameters are default values.
memory is 4 GB.
thanks for your help.
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

GS320 systems can take quite a bit of time. Close to one hour isn't extreme for the largest GS320 configurations (although still a bit on the long side). If you only have 2 HBA's and 11 LUN's total then you don't have a very large configuration. Are you sure you only have 4 GB of memory. I would think that so little memory isn't even possible on a GS320.

Can you post a boot log (preferably with time stamps)?

On V5.1B, new_wire_method should be 1. In fact, starting with PK5 (BL26), we've fixed it at that (and removed the parameter).
Ramazan_3

there are 8 QBB in GS320. This one is only one of them. I mean only one QBB, so 4 GB memory is reasonable.
Normally booting ths machine takes maximum 15 minutes. Now it takes so long time.
Actually, the problem is not only booting slowly. After booting the machine, machine runs also very slowly. Top command shows a lot of idle CPU and memory but even "ls" command can not be entered in this situation.
I attached the boot logs with time.
Thanks for your help
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Does indeed seem kind of slow. The first indications of slowness seem to be around the start up of LSM (although that's not typically fast eny way). Also the message around cluster root being on a private bus seems strange.

Can you describe your storage configuration in some detail?

Can you do a "drdmgr dskX" for your cluster system disk?

What's the patch level?
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

What changed between when your boots took 15 min and now that they take an hour?

I agree with Han - that message about cluster root being on a private bus looks very suspicious.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

We had similar problems.

There are two things that could be wrong.

The shm_max parameter in the kernel.

The cluster interconnect (specially for lan interconnect)

You should check the shm_max parameter, the max recomended value is 4G-16M (i guess).

If you are using memory channel interconnect, check the jumpers and the window (see cluster hardware installation and configuration manual).

If you are using lan interconnect, check ethernet speed, duplex, switch, cables, etc.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?