Operating System - Linux
1752535 Members
5051 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 530 Permission denied,220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)

aamir4u
Regular Advisor

530 Permission denied,220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)

hi,

I am trying to connect the ftp on windows explorer but

its generated the error message.

ERROR:------

Windows cannot access this folder.Make sure you typed the file name

correctly and that you have permission to access the folder

Details:

220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)

530 Permission denied

but its connect to firefox, internet explorer, and Windows command Prompt, and linux shell.

I want to connect to windows explorer.

Kindly suggest me how can do that.

Thaks

Thanks
aamir uddin
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: 530 Permission denied,220 (vsFTPd 2.0.5)

As your experiments have proven that this problem is exclusive to Windows Explorer, this is obviously a Windows issue of some sort.

Perhaps the Windows Explorer wants to write "desktop.ini" or a similar file to the directory, but the FTP server won't allow that.

If you have admin access to the server that runs vsFTPd, check the logs (usually in /var/log if it is a Linux system). See if the server logged the FTP command that Windows Explorer tried to perform and vsFTPd rejected. Then think about whether you should allow it or not.

If there is not enough information in the log, set the option "log_ftp_protocol" to "yes" in vsftpd.conf file (usually in /etc). Then restart vsftpd and try again. Now the logs should tell you exactly what Windows Explorer is trying to do and whether vsFTPd accepts each command or not.

Here is a copy of the vsFTPd configuration documentation:

https://security.appspot.com/vsftpd/vsftpd_conf.html

When you understand what Windows is actually trying to do, you should be able to choose the steps to take:

• either configure vsFTPd to allow the silly thing Windows Explorer tries to do
  • or ask in a Windows discussion board if there's a way to make Windows Explorer less silly in this case.

(I think Windows Explorer is a really poor FTP client... but whatever.)

MK