New Discussion юеВ

ACU download?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rudy Williams
Regular Advisor

ACU download?

Hello--

I am running Linux (specifically VMware vSphere 4.01) on a DL380-G6 with a SmartArray 410i controller. I would like not to have to restart the server each time I need to perform RAID maintenance. I have searched high and low for some place to download the ACU but have not been successful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers
11 REPLIES 11
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: ACU download?

No, you're not running 'Linux' you're running VMware vSphere. There is a special-purpose virtual machine called the service console that runs a version of Linux. From the Linux in the service console VM, you do not have direct access to all hardware functions the way that you would if you were running Linux on bare metal. Specifically, ACU is not supported in the service console VM.
Rudy Williams
Regular Advisor

I hate to disagree with you, but VMware ESX vSphere 4.01 is Linux. If it has a Linux kernel, which it does, then it is Linux. True, VMware takes RedHat source code and edits it heavily, but it is Linux.

Now having said that, you bring up a point that I did not consider--that the service console is designed not to have access to the bare metal. Thank you. I guess that I'll abandon my quest and just be happy that the reconfiguration of the array does not take long from the BIOS utility.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Did you try the HP business support website ?
drivers and softrware, search DL(whatever), ?

The ACU is there, albeit not for ESZX but maybe the redhat version will fly ?

Rudy Williams
Regular Advisor

I looked around and found many documents, but did not see a link for download.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Rudy, what boots on that machine is the VMware hypervisor. What you are seeing is the special-purpose virtual machine, which is Linux, but the actual machine is running the hypervisor.
Rudy Williams
Regular Advisor

Tim-- Thank you, I downloaded the software and was able to install it. Since it is a web-based utility it requires SMH. I will tinker with this in my spare time.

David-- I am aware what the service console is, I am a VMware VCP. Do you know from experience that this will not work? If so I will not spend time testing.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Rudy,

there is also an acucli ( no web junk )

I use this to review and configure the P400 controller without rebooting. It is a little cumbersome but once figured out all actions can be done via command line..

Rudy Williams
Regular Advisor

Cumbersome I do not mind, it is not like I'll be using it every day!