3828 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ADVFS file system panic

shashang
Occasional Advisor

ADVFS file system panic

hello all,

Attaching herewith the above error that apreared in the console log and messages file of my system. The OS is Tru64 5.1A and two Alpha 1200 system running in cluster.

The above messages stopped after some 40 mins. in both the console log and the messages file, indicating (in the messages file) that the SCSI Bus had been reset. Pls. can anyone tell me what is the reason behind those messages and is there any hardware failure in the system.

While the above messages were appearing the system was working normal and all the file system were mounted correctly and functioning.

regards,
Shashang
8 REPLIES 8
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Re: ADVFS file system panic

This could be caused by bad block on disk or some other SCSI problem.
Try to analyze hardware using uerf.
In vino veritas, in VMS cluster
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Shashang,

Also use the /sbin/advfs/verify utility to check the integrity of the domain. It may be corrupted. If so, there's utilities like fixfdmn & salvage in /sbin/advfs/ to try to repair it. I've never used those two so I can't help you there.

Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Appears like a disk problem. Did you find anything informative in the binary error log file?
shashang
Occasional Advisor

hi Venkatesh,

I dont have the required tool to read the binary errlog file. Pls. let me know if there is any otherway to check the same.

Regards,
Shashang sheth.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

You have the tool. For AS1200 uerf should work.
Uerf is normal part of TRU64 v5.1A.
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Check the manpage of 'uerf' for more info.
Vladimir Fabecic
Honored Contributor

Here is the exact sintax:
# uerf -t s:9-aug-2005,00:00:00 e:11-aug-2005,15:00:00
Please send output of this.
Devesh Pant_1
Esteemed Contributor

Most likely your storage had some problem which might have recovered later. The domain somethimes are not fatal and I have been able to just unmount and mount the filesystem and everything remains smooth sometimes even that is not necessary. And atleast once my server crashed due to the domain panic in one out of 12 domain that it had.

Anyways it could be the HSG-80 or EMC or whatever storage that you use.

If things are back to normal and domain verify is okay you might want to keep an eye on the server.
thanks
DP