1753447 Members
5034 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Account is Disabled - See Account Administrator

Randy Swenson
Occasional Contributor

Account is Disabled - See Account Administrator

I'm in the process of upgrading a TRU64 4.0D system to 5.1+. This is a production system that is accessed by a department on the other side of campus (and I was dubbed SA).

Far too often, I come to find that when I or their department want to access su, we get the message: Account is Disabled - See Account Administrator

We don't have auditing turned on but I have a hunch that the system is being hammered with login attempts on the root user, and the lockout is the result.

1) How do I clear this problem from the console?
2) How do I prevent it in the future (it's getting to be a real incovenience)?
Bear in mind that this system is a work in progress, slowly moving to 5.1+. Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

Re: Account is Disabled - See Account Administrator

Is it related to TRU64 problem. Plz move this thread to TRU64 thread.

hth.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

These threads should help you,
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=354672
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=691639

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I think that root always can logon from the console, even when the account is locked. But if you can't, you need to shutdown the system and boot into single user mode, and unlock the account using usermod.

You can also disable the "account lock" using the usermod command for the root user.

You can disable also the access using root from the network editing /etc/securettys or /etc/sshd2/sshd2_config
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?