1748242 Members
4245 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Account password lifetime is only 2 weeks

sbrews
Frequent Advisor

Account password lifetime is only 2 weeks

I have a system where the password on your account expires after 2 weeks.  I have tried making adjustments to the password lifetime via sam and in /etc/default/security.  However, no matter what I do, the pw still expires after 2 weeks.  Is there something else that needs to be updated?  if so, what/where?

4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Are you using Trusted Mode?

If using the default, what does the /etc/passwd entry show?

Instead of two weeks, how long did you want it?

sbrews
Frequent Advisor

Trusted mode doesnt appear to be in use... however, I did inherit this system and those that I inheritted it from are no longer available. 

I see that there is a /etc/default/security file.  I have updated the PASSWORD_MAXDAYS to 90, but that doesnt seem to be what is controlling the 2 week expiration.

Ideally, the pw lifetime should match or be as close to my other system as possible - and that is 90 days.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Changing the security file does not change any current settings. The security file will set the default value when the user (or root) changes the password. To change the user now, use /usr/lbin/modprpw to adjust the current value.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
sbrews
Frequent Advisor

I had totally forgotten about modprpw... however, the system is not a trusted system, so modprpw has no affect.