Did you mean: 

Add Remote printer on HPUX

SOLVED
Go to solution
markab2
Occasional Contributor

Add Remote printer on HPUX

Hi.

I would like to add a remote line printer to our HP-UX box.

The printer is an HP2564B and connected with a Jetdirect box. I would like to use the correct drivers for it etc which I have already found on the system, but unsure of the command.

Can someone help please.

Thanks
7 REPLIES
Ramaprasad K
Regular Advisor
Solution

Re: Add Remote printer on HPUX

The easiest way is using SAM (SMH on 11.31).

#sam
Select Printers and Plotters, LP Spooler, and then Printers and Plotters again. Then choose Add Remote Printer/plotter from the action menu.

Hope this helps,
Ram.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

If you add the printer as a remote printer then you do not need to worry about drivers. The job gets sent directly to the printer. If you are going to use the jetdirect printer installer then you could use addqueue or hppi.

P.S. You'll need to have the installer installed to use it.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Use SAM to configure printers rather than command line. It is more sobhisticated way.

It is a Jet direct printer. Then you can configure as network printer instead of remote printer. If you configure as remote printer then you cannot have some features like no of print copies, etc.
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Since you have a Jetdirect box, I would suggest using the HP Jet Direct Printer Installer (HPPI). Download and install it if you don't already have it ( http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?〈=en&cc=us&pnameOID=18922&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=27349〈=en&cc=us ). Then use the hppi command or the /opt/hpnpl/bin/addqueue command to install your printer.

This gives you a network printer. If you truly want a remote printer (attached to another computer that serves as a print controller), then SAM is probably the best way.

Pete

Pete
markab2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help so far.

I have just got round to testing this and so far created a printer using SAM.

But when I send a test print which looks like this

This is a test
Test Test Test
Test Test Test

it prints with an indentation on each line, as anyone else had this problem

Thanks

>it prints with an indentation on each line, as anyone else had this problem

You mean like:

This means you need to configure the printer to add a CR for each LF. Or you need to pipe your files through ux2dos(1).
markab2
Occasional Contributor

I've managed to configure one of the new printers to do CF/LF. Which printed the document without problems.

Thanks for all your help!!!