Operating System - HP-UX
1748169 Members
4122 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add UFS SCSI disk to a HP-UX 11.11 system?

SOLVED
Go to solution
PaulHoffrichter
Advisor

Add UFS SCSI disk to a HP-UX 11i system?

Customer asks whether they can take a UFS SCSI data disk from another system (not HP-UX) and add it to their HP-UX 11i v2 or v3 system. Any documentation on doability or possible workaround (using physical disk, rather than networking copy)?

5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

And use it as a raw disk or try to get a filesystem off of it?

I doubt HP-UX supports UFS filesystems, only HFS and VXFS.  (And NFS)

PaulHoffrichter
Advisor

They were hoping to use the disk's UFS filesystem to read the data on it.

Thanks.

PaulHoffrichter
Advisor

Any idea whether virtualization on HP-UX 11i, say with Linux, would allow Linux to read the UFS disk?
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>Any idea whether virtualization on HP-UX 11i, say with Linux, would allow Linux to read the UFS disk?

If you are saying that you have an Integrity server running 11.31 and you are using an older ia64 Linux running under HPVM, that may be possible.  But is it electrically possible?

But first get x86 Linux machine and try it.

PaulHoffrichter
Advisor

At a customer meeting, I learned that they were able to read the disk (they didn't know the details).

I read in the HP-UX 11i Internals book (by Cooper and Moore), the following names all refer to the same file system implementation:

• HP-UX HFS
  • BFS
  • FFS in SYS V.4
  • McKusick File System
  • UFS

From other searches, I got the impression that each vendor implements UFS with their own variants. So, I guess it is just a matter of trying to see whether you can read a disk from another system.