108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Add a printer queue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leah Chow
Frequent Advisor

Add a printer queue

I need to copy a printer queue from one server to another new server. At first, i copied the ip address and model number from /etc/lp/interface/PRINTER_NAME from server A, then add printer using the same information on server B, it didn't work. So i just copied the files from /etc/lp/interface/printer_Name and /etc/lp/interface/model.orig which belong to that printer. My question is how to add the queue using these two files?

two servers are all hpux, one is running Version 11.23 ia64, another one is 11.31 ia64.

thanks for your help

Leah
7 REPLIES 7
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Add a printer queue

I did not have a chance to play with hpux version 11.31 so far but in 11.11 and 11.23, my little procedure below works fine, provided you have installed the appropriate model scripts for this printer on this server. If you haven't done this yet, go to

http://www.hp.com/pond/modelscripts/index2.html

find and download the model script that best fits to your printer, and install it.

then execute command

/opt/hpnpl/bin/addqueue -l

and in the output, find the line related to your printer. For example, if you have a color laser jet 4500 printer, in this list

25) HP DesignJet 3500CP (C4724A)
26) HP DesignJet 3000CP (C4723A)
257) HP LaserJet 4000 Series
258) HP LaserJet 5000 Series
259) HP Color LaserJet 4500
261) HP Mopier 320
261) HP LaserJet 8100 Series

the number you will need on the next step will be 259

if you have come this far without any problems, you should have smooth sailing from now on:

lpshut ;sleep 2; lpstat -r #(make sure scheduler really stopped)
addqueue -i 259 -h 10.11.120.202 -q queue_name
lpsched ; sleep 2; lpstat -r #(make sure scheduler really started)

or you run 'hppi' and use the menu to configure the new printer.

I am not quite sure why you need to **copy** the printer from one server to the other ? Or is this a terminology misunderstanding on my part ?

i did what you showed me, the user said they still cannot get print out. this is the reason why i copied over 2 files from server A to server B, but i don't know how to add the queue using 2 files.

the original file used net_lj5x, so i chose this model, and also added the ip address. Just don't know why it doesn't work.

thanks
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

" the user said they still cannot get print out."

don't rely on the user for input. log to to the box and attempt a print yourself.

does the "lp" command give you an error msg? after issuing the "lp" command, what does "lpstat" for the printer show? nothing on the queue? Something on the queue that never goes away? Can you ping the printer from the "new" server?

Leah Chow
Frequent Advisor

i just use the lp command to test the printer, there has no error, but nothing print out, here is the output from lpstat:

KIM_FO_ACCTNG-658 root priority 0 Jul 30 11:04
asmsize.sql 171 bytes

the queue will never goes away until i cancel it. I can ping the printer from the server.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

from the server, telnet to the ip addressof the printer on ports 9000 and 9001

telnet a.b.c.d 9000
telnet a.b.c.d 9001

are you getting a response of some sort or is it getting stuck at

Trying...

prompt ?

yes, it is stuck at Trying......
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Talk to your firewall admins and ask them to open ports 9000, 9001 and preferably 9002 for TCP and UDP, communication originator being your server. You may need to provide them the server's and printer's IP addresses.