1748069 Members
5574 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Added a new disk, How to see it ?

amreek bansal
Frequent Advisor

Added a new disk, How to see it ?

Hi . We have added an additional disk (so it can be used for swap). I havent rebooted the server, my question is this, in solaris I would run devfsadm to pick up the new disk, what are the steps to firstly see the new disk and to start using it ? What device name wouldit have? Thanks..
16 REPLIES 16
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

# ioscan -fnC disk
# insf -e
# ioscan -funC disk
amreek bansal
Frequent Advisor

hi tinqli, thanks for the reply. I will run these commands, but i have a question, the disk which i've added, I take it is hotswappable, so no need to reboot ? and from the commands you gave, how would i identify the new disk (device name i.e c0t0d0..) which has been added ? as i dont want to mess up and choose the wrong one. Sorry if its basic question, i am new to hp-ux, although i know solaris well. pls explain..
thanks..
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

You can run # ioscan -funC disk first. This one won't show the new disks yet. Then you run # ioscan -fnC disk (which doesn't have the u), it shows up the new disks.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Not the same with adding in swap disks. Swap is apart of the O/S and I believe you'll need the -B option in pvcreate. You will definietly need the -C for continuous option in lvcreate. Here's the basic procedure.

Check to see if maxswapchunks is set high
# pvcreate -B /dev/dsk/c#t#d# (* verify this*)
# lvcreate -C y -L 300 -n swap /dev/vg00
# swapon -p 2 /dev/vg00/swap
vi /etc/fstab
/dev/vg00/swap ... swap pri=2 0 0
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Bijeesh
Respected Contributor

hi
The ioscan output contains any disk with S/W state UNCLAIMED means no associated software found.
To this disk H/W path you can run #insf -H (get from ioscan o/p)
you can also run
#pvdisplay /dev/dsk/c#t#d# to confirm that the disk is not to your VGs.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>pvcreate -B /dev/dsk/c#t#d# (* verify this*)

You don't need the '-B' for a swap disk. The '-B' is only needed if this will be a boot disk.
Bijeesh
Respected Contributor

hi
I think Amreek is trying to make secondary swap.Then it is not required the -B option with pvcreate.
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

By using sam, the 2nd swap disk can be created easily.
Pedro G Marques

Hi Amreek

If you don't know what disk is a new disk, you can compare the output of ioscan with the follow command:

# strings /etc/lvmtab

This is not a 100% rigth, because if you have another disk out of LVM you can have a

Another way is, if this disk is physical, not an EVA lun or another external Storage, the Hw paths of disks usually appears in front of Server. You can compare the path of physical Server and ioscan output

Regards