1753747 Members
4828 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding a new remote printer

Joy Conner
Advisor

Adding a new remote printer

Is it necessary to stop the spooler (lpshut)when adding a new remote printer?
6 REPLIES 6
Robert Salter
Respected Contributor

Yep.
Do a man on lpadmin it will show which options will work with the scheduler running and which won't.
Time to smoke and joke
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Hi Joy,

You can use SAM,

Please check below Thread.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1256283934868+28353475&threadId=968714

Thanks,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Joy Conner
Advisor

My co-worker / sysadmin guy has been sick for months and while I have had some HPUX training, that was years ago. So I'm very rusty. My sysadmin guy left me with some instructions about adding a printer. They are as follows.
Our printers are listed in sam as type being remote, so I assume they are remote printers and not local printers.
1. Edit /etc/hosts file by inserting ip address of new print server.
2. Turn off spooler
3. Use SAM to add an entry to the spooler associating the local (I think he means remote but his instructions say local) UNIX printer with remote print server.
4. Restart the spooler.

Does this make sense?

Robert Salter
Respected Contributor

What he means is the local printer is the printer name on the server you're on, the remote printer name would be the name used on the print server.

You could add it thru command line;
lpshut (stop the spoler)
lpadmin -p[your_printer] -v/dev/null -mrmodel -orm[remote_server] -orp[remote_printer_name] -ocmrcmodel -osmrsmodel -ob3
lpsched (start the spooler)
Time to smoke and joke
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,
is this a network printer or local printer.
is your printer is having any ip address.
if yes then from SAM choose printer and spooler and from menu choose network printer give a name and ipaddress of the printer .....

Suraj
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

DO not select "network printer" unless you know that the printer uses an HP JetDirect interface card or external adapter. If the printer is hosted by another system (ie, Windows, Linux, etc) or the printer has it's own LAN card, then use the remote printer option in SAM.

One difficulty you will have is locating the name of the remote printer. When adding a printer, there are 3 items that must be provided:

1. The local print queue name, that is the name for the printer on the HP-UX system.

2. The remote print server's IP address or DNS name. This is the system that knows about the printer, or the address of a standalone printer with a non-HP network card.

3. The name of the printer at the print server. For a Windows or Linux server, it will be the name of the printer at that system. For a printer that has a built-in LAN card, the card is actually a print server and (due to RFC-1179 standards) must have a name. That will be your biggest chanllenge. Without that internal name, you can't get it to work.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin