New Discussion

Adding an FC HBA disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
rventura
Frequent Advisor

Adding an FC HBA disk

Hello,

I have installed a FC HBA card with 2 ports to my HP3410 running 11.31. I will be connecting this to the san switch and presenting a LUN to this server later this week. 

If there anything in particular i need to do? It seems to be straight up: Connect the server to the SAN switch, present the LUN, ioscan to identify the device paths, then perform regular disk operations to the device files...?

Am i missing something? Or is it more imvolved than this?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Adding an FC HBA disk

That's pretty much it.

If you use zoning on your fibre channel switch, make sure that you zone the new connection appropriately.

The LUN presentation is the other major piece of the equation.  As long as the LUN is presented correctly, and the server can then see the LUN, then you are good.

rventura
Frequent Advisor

Cool. Thanks.

Considering that the 2 FC ports connect to different switches for multipathing, i assume that this involves other commands to configure multipath in HP-UX, correct?
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

HP-UX 11.31 has multi-pathing functionality included so 3rd party multipathing software is not required.

HP-UX shold automatically determine that there are multiple paths to the same device / LUN.  No manual intervention should be required.

rventura
Frequent Advisor

=)

yeah, just read that...

Thanks a lot though.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

And be absolutely sure that you configure the LUNs for HP-UX compatibility.

Using Linux or Windows or AIX , etc won't work for HP-UX.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin