7677 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding new printer

thrubovc
Advisor

Adding new printer

Hello all,

I've read a lot of threads on printers but this subject still remains rather unknown to me. Could you please assist me a bit as I've never added a printer.

the printer name is CA08 and I've been told to set her up the same way as KP15 is, simple, ey?

it should be a network printer, I tried adding it to the local spooler via hppi, but it says 

!! CA08 is NOT an acceptable name!!
Either it is NOT a network printer or this host is denied access
to it!

and I basically have no idea how to add a network printer:) Thanks for any kind of help

10 REPLIES 10
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Is CA08 a resolvable network identity?  Can you ping it or get an address when using "nslookup ca08"?

thrubovc
Advisor

Hi, yeah I've added the DNS entry for it so yes it is resolvable, but refused connections mean that the printer is refuisng the connection, not that it is not accessible over the network... Too bad I'm not dealing with the printer physically, just remotely over the network

Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

you didn't answer if you could ping it. Refusing connection doesn't always mean you reached it.

thrubovc
Advisor

yes I can ping it. I think if it's unreachable, the connection gets timed out, not refused.

Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Better yet, use telnet to connect to the printer and access its configuration.  Somebody could have set a password.  Are you using the /opt/hpnpl/help-html/Hpjpiu.html documentation to assit you?

thrubovc
Advisor

well that's the problem, it's refusing the connection. I thought that maybe there may be a way of setting it up on the system without working telnet connection... but apparently there isn't
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

At that point, hppi wants to ping the printer, and then query it with SNMP to verify its model and features.

If this fails (e.g. because a firewall blocks the query or the printer IP address is not reachable), hppi will produce the error message you're seeing.

"Network printer" has a very specific meaning in HP-UX terminology: it means that the printer will receive print jobs using port 9100/TCP. (or ports 9101-9103 in case of some external 3-port HP JetDirect adapters)

You can verify basic connectivity with:

telnet CA08 9100

If it says "Connection established", basic connectivity is OK for setting up this printer a network printer.

If SNMP access cannot be allowed, you can use the command-line "addqueue" command to set up the printer instead of using "hppi". For that, you'll need to know the model of the printer and the corresponding printer model ID. Run "addqueue -l" to see a list of printer models and their corresponding model ID numbers.

For example, if you know that the model ID for your new printer is 407, you could use the addqueue command to create printer queue for CA08 like this:

addqueue -i 407 -h printer.name.or.IP -q CA08 -r off -t off -b off

If the telnet command times out, there is a network issue or a firewall is dropping the connection.

If it says "Connection refused", it might still be a firewall rejecting the connection on behalf of the actual printer. Or it might be a printer that does not support the JetDirect protocol in port 9100... in that case, you might have to set it up as a remote printer.

MK
Ravi-Joshi
Advisor

Hello,

We add lot of network printers in our environment. But we use lpadmin

Let us say we hahve a network printer. This printer is connected to a windows server. The windows

admin on this windows server can see this printer just like we see printers on our windows-7 or windows-xp

pc.

From unix, we need to setup a queue which is the same name as the network printer. Then point the

queue to the windows server.

The unix server must be able to ping the windows server. Any jobs that come on unix, will go to the unix

queue and get spooled to the windows server which in turn sends jobs to the network printer.

It is pretty easy and if you do man lpadmin, it shows how to set up the queue. The lpsched daemon

needs to be stopped before creating queue and then started after queue is created.

Ravi

thrubovc
Advisor

Matti, thanks for your exhaustive answer. In SAM, I see my model printer KP15 is a network one. And as far as I've dealt with another printer on this server and it did use 9100 port, I assumed it's a network printer. With that being said, I've been given no information on the printer model etc, so I have to wait till that is resolved. Thanks, I will get back here with more details onc I have them