Operating System - HP-UX
1752275 Members
5255 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Aggressive display of last-successful/unsuccessful login info in DTlogin?

mvpel
Trusted Contributor

Aggressive display of last-successful/unsuccessful login info in DTlogin?

Hi all,

We have a batch of trusted systems, and currently the "last successful/unsuccessful" login information is only displayed in the blue "dthello" screen, which disappears almost immediately when a user logs in, not giving them time to read any of it. (I looked for a way to pause dthello for a few moments, but didn't see anything useful.)

I'd be interested to know if there's a way to make the dtlogin system display the last successful and unsuccessful login information as a dialog box (perhaps with an OK button) when the user logs in, without having to modify everyone's .dtprofile, or somehow make it possible for them to have a chance to read it in one way or another.

It'd be even better if the dtlogin password prompt screen would show it too, along with the "Welcome " text.

Is there some dtlogin parameter that I'm missing here? Some flag to the PAM modules?

Thanks for any suggestions.
5 REPLIES 5
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

Re: Aggressive display of last-successful/unsuccessful login info in DTlogin?

One clarification - it turns out that the dialog boxes I saw which contain the last success/fail dates are coming from dtsession following a screen unlock, not from dtlogin.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

/etc/profile might be a good target for you to add some "display" code that everyone would then end up executing.

Pete

Pete
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

The trouble there is that /etc/profile code only triggers after the user has successfully logged in and the failure count has already been reset to zero, and only appears on the screen if they've started an interactive shell, as opposed to just a vanilla X desktop session.

I wonder if there's a way to trick dthello into displaying a bit longer by delaying the window manager startup somewhere, since that's what it's actually waiting for.
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

Looks like I could modify the Xsession file to add a "; sleep 5" or something along those lines to the dthello_info variable in the script. I'll try that and see how it works.
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

No luck with the sleep command - it seems to confuse the Xsession.