1753502 Members
4625 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Alcor card reader not working with Linux

leemflee
Occasional Visitor

Alcor card reader not working with Linux

My Alcor card reader that was installed and came with my new PC will not recognize any SD card inserted into it.  I am running Ubuntu 12.10 which is the latest version.  The Linux kernel version is 3.5.0-21.  Output from lsusb shows the following:  "Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6364 Alcor Micro Corp. AU6477 Card Reader Controller" but no messages from dmesg show when inserting an SD card.  How can I get this to work?

P.S.This thread has been moved from Storage>General to Linux > sysadmin- HP Forums Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Is the usb_storage kernel module loaded?

The system might be trying to use the alternative USB block device driver module ("ub") instead.

To make the system prefer the usb_storage module instead of ub, you might want to create a file named /etc/modprobe.d/usb-libusual.conf, with the following content:

options libusual bias=usb-storage
options usb_libusual bias=usb-storage

(I'm not sure whether the kernel 3.5 uses the "old" or the "new" name for usb_libusual. This should cover both cases, and the extra line should be harmless.)

As far as I know, the ub module is scheduled for removal, since the problems with some USB storage devices and the usb_storage module have apparently been solved and the ub module has become redundant.

MK
leemflee
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for the response.  I created the file as you suggested and restarted the computer, but inserting media still did not mount.  Is there something else I can check or run to verify the media should be found?  Thank!