5749 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Allocating CPU to application

maint141
Occasional Advisor

Allocating CPU to application

Hi,

Wanted to know in Multi core machine running multiple applications , how to allocate the CPU cores to specific applications.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Varian
7 REPLIES 7
njia_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Allocating CPU to application

Hi Varian

Are you asking the commands that manually assigns a CPU core to a specific application ?

I never heard such a thing all I know is that you can use nice command to alter the priority
S.N.S
Valued Contributor

Are You hinting at Virtualization?

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/w1/en/technologies/virtualization-overview.html

It's the happening technology; and best to make maximum use of Systems Resources

HTH
SNS
"Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% Perspiration" - Edison

Whole cores or precentages of cores?

Either way, the tool you are looking for is probably Process Resource Manager (PRM):

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01911854/c01911854.pdf

Us the PRM fair-share-scheduler (FSS) to allocate percentages of CPU to a set of processes, or PRM Processor Sets (PSETs) to allocate whole CPU cores to a set of processes.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
njia_1
Trusted Contributor

good to know
maint141
Occasional Advisor

HI All,

Thanks for your replies.
Also wanted to confirm , we can monitor the processor utilization using commands like top, prstat etc & then chnage the processor allocation as per demand.
Is that correct understanding?

Also is it possible to do it in Solaris OS also ?

Regards

Varian
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Look at the various pset_*(2) man pages:
pset_bind(2), etc. psrset(1M)
Pulse001
Regular Advisor

Hi main141,

On solaris you would achieve this using rpoold (resource pooling). You will be using Fair share scheduler as the default scheduler. It works very well across Solaris zones / containers also.