New Discussion юеВ

Re: Alpha 4100 doesn't see disks anymore

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Ralf,

I can't believe it. I had to post twice because the first time I got a system unvalaible and when I hit backspace and posted again, the attachment was gone. So I posted it a second time with a remark and obviously it has been censored.

The problem is solved. The only question, I still have, is:
Does voldg init dg dsk1 dsk2 dsk destroy the advfs on the disks? If so, why isn't it more clearly described in the docs?

The reason, I tried to solve the problem here was, that we don't have support for this machine.

thanks

Michael
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am still wondering, why the names of the disks changed. The only thing, we did, that could cause it, was, that we exchanged two controllers for tapes in their slots, meaning the postion of the disk contoller stayed the same and as much as I know, the naming is dependent on the rank of a controller in it's pci segment. Are there controllers, which influence the numbering and others, which do not? One is a new and the other is an older narrow controller.

thanks for any insight,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Michael,

attaching a new disk will lead to a new dsk-device, this will not happened if the disk is on an external storage controller and the unit is not recreated (so the WWID is untouched). But it is fairly easy to move the new dsk-name to the old one.

The advfs filesystem will survive if one of the lsm plexes of the mirror is still active. In case of a damaged disk, the plex containing the failed disk will be rendered inaccessible. After swapping the disk and reconfigure it for lsm use (voldiskadm is your friend to do the job during replacement) a simple volrecover will resync the previously failed plex with the active one. This can be all done online without interrupting filesystem activity, but it is important to use the correct commands to replace the disk.

btw. the procedure was described here in the forum:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=324509

or if voldiskadm is not your friend:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=211205
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Ralf,

I would understand, when the replacement disk gets a new name, but all the disks got renamed from dsk2..dsk7 to dsk8..dsk13. This I can't understand. Also the diskgroup in question totally disappeard. The booting said something like can't autoimport(have no access to the machine). So I created the disk group with voldg init dg dsk....
Does this ruin the data on the disks?
So the commands won't work, because the disk group didn't exist.

got me?

thanks,

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor
Solution

Michael,

if all disk was renamed than it seems the moving of the controller was the root cause (there are some config restrictions depending WWID and controllers). Why not renaming the devices to the old names, this solved the "new naming" problem.

The message of "autoimport" indicates a problem with config copies, hardware or is a follow on to the new disk names.

voldg init should not destroy the contents of the "data" partitions it only writes new admin/config informations on the disks. But the disks must be ordered the same way as before (e.g. disklabel must match).

In your case the right steps are:

1. fixing hardware problem
-> disks can be seen again

2. renaming the new dsk names to old names
-> leading to a working plex and filesystem

3. replacing disk using one of the 2 methods described in my previous postings.
-> second plex will be ready for resync
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Ralf,

thanks for your thoughts.
It's becoming more clearly now. The disks got renamed, system couldn't autoimport, disk group got lost and maybe I did something unwise in the course of action. You told me, that reading docs is a good occupation and participating here in the forums I am learning to be quite efficient in that, even in cases, where I do not have a clue. ;-)
Though it still is sometimes frustrating to find the right doc.
As I wrote in another post, I was looking for the doc about cluster recovery. It was supposed to be in best practices, but I couldn't find it.

again thanks,

Michael

Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Btw. if WWID of lsm disk changes (which is stored in private region of disk) then lsm may hang or rejects disk. Only possible fix is to remove disk from lsm control and add it back again (so private region will be updated).

Joris Denayer
Respected Contributor

Michael, Ralf

I discovered some similarities between both of you and the Schumacher boys.

- You share the same names
- One works for HP, the other not.
- They both want to be the best
- However, they cannot reply faster than you.

My suggestion: beware for crashes and have fun

Simply couldn't resist ;-)

Joris

To err is human, but to really faul things up requires a computer
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi Joris,

I laughed my head of. ;-)
In this case however Ralf is way ahead of Michael and Michael does not work for HP.
Ok, I promise, not to tailgate Ralf. ;-)

Michael
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

I'm the one reading the documentation ;-)