New Discussion юеВ

Re: Alternatives to CDE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor
Solution

mwm (Motif Window Manager) is probably still included in even the most basic installations, check if /usr/bin/X11/mwm is available. Don't mess with XDMCP, just configure your X Server to connect through SSH and run mwm directly. You can also try twm (Tab Window Manage) but this one is hard core.

mwm is definitely no-frills in 2009 standards but I like it, it's as simple as a window manager can get and it has its charm. :)

Good luck
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

I doubt that MWM / TWM *are* installed...as I doubt that the underlying X-Windows software for the server has been installed at this point.

Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Ximian Gnome is an alternate to CDE. See the documnetation on installation and steps to configure at
http://docs.hp.com/en/GNOME/install.html
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Well CDE is not installed here, when I ignite my 11.31 systems I just install everything that comes by default, but package X11 is included and it comes with mwm. If an xterm is available, so should be mwm.

Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

You don't need x11 to run graphical applications, from the question relating to reflections and "If I do not want to install CDE" I think he hasn't got it installed.
But he could use putty with port forwarding, and Xming.
Unix operates with beer.
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I think the combination of Putty and Xming is the simplest way to get xwindow to local station. Both of them are free and both of them are reliable.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Olivier: mwm (Motif Window Manager)

That's what I use on 11.11.
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

>putty with port forwarding

I mean putty with X forwarding. :O

here is how you can set X forward in putty:

http://www.mucsa.org/wiki/images/a/a0/Putty_x11_forwarding.png
Unix operates with beer.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

If you are looking for a GUI desktop then either install CDE or Ximian gnome. I know CDE is on the 11iv3 install cd. Gnome may have only been there for 11iv2.
Jamal Asi
Advisor

The way I have it working right now is to do the following:

-Start reflection on the windows PC
-ssh to the HP-UX 11.31 server
-define the DISPLAY variable as follows:
export DISPLAY=##.##.##.##:0.0 where ##.##.##.## is the ip address of the pc running MS-Windows.
-start xterm as follows:
xterm&

This is working for me. The critical requirement here is the emulating software which Reflections, Exceed,.....
CDE is not required!

If you have more to add, please do so others can benefit.

Thanks!