Operating System - HP-UX
1748065 Members
5456 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

An issue in changing the server hostname that The new hostname has not been activated.

iinayef
Occasional Visitor

An issue in changing the server hostname that The new hostname has not been activated.

Hi Experts 

I have HP-UX machine as the following

# uname -a
HP-UX racdb2 B.11.31 U ia64 1858048741 unlimited-user license

I Changed the server name from racdb2 to reg-sv2 by the command 

set_parms hostname

after rebooting the hostname racdb2 is stil valid where the hostname reg-sv2 has not validated

i did the procedure manualy by changing 

1.  /etc/hosts

2. hostname reg-sv2

3. uname -S reg-sv2

4. change hostname in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf to reg-sv2

5. /sbin/init.d/stop

/sbin/init.d/start

after server rebooting the original hostname racdb2 is still valid where the hostname has not validated.

Can anybody help. please.

Thanks to all.

2 REPLIES 2
iinayef
Occasional Visitor

Re: An issue in changing the server hostname that The new hostname has not been activated.

Thanks to All 

The issue has been solved by me.

the issue was that there was a duplication in the file netconf as the following

# ls /etc/rc.config.d/netconf*

netconf  

netconf_orig

which made the hostname to conflict ,so when I deleted the the file netconf_orig

#/sbin/init.d/hostname start

then  everything was working.

Thanks to eveybody who are working to solve people issues.

Thanks

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: An issue in changing the server hostname that The new hostname has not been activated.

You have discovered a very important feature in the /etc/rc.config.d directory. *EVERY* file in that directory will be executed during the rc script startup (and shutdown). That means you can NEVER store any old versions in that directory and especially no junk files as these can cause reboot failures. The common practice is to create an old directory and copy original files to that directory. That way, a history can be kept but will not interfere with operations in this directory.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin