108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Application response slow when running on RHEL 5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Application response slow when running on RHEL 5

A customer is running Oracle Application Server, and they(customer) complains that Performance is not good.

They ran the same set of softwares(Oracle Application Server etc) on their SPARC(Solaris 9) machine, with quite good performance.

# uname -a
Linux telco76 2.6.18-92.el5 #1 SMP Tue Apr 29 13:16:15 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have attached the top, vmstat, /proc/cpuinfo and /proc/meminfo output

please help me to find out the reason of performance bottleneck ?
is there any issue with Oracle Application Server for Linux ?
is there any issue with Java that comes/install with Oracle Application Server for Linux ?

I mean is there any bug/known-issue with linux version of the apps ?

please suggest

Regards
8 REPLIES 8
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

Hello
root cause should not easy to find out,
few more information require here,
customer is using this server remotly?
please post df -h -l output

Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Maybe you have already covered that ground but.

Bottleneck could also be on the disks and or parameters.

Information from sysctl -A and iostat could also be useful

Also If it run well on Solaris try "comparing extracts from sysctl and iostat to the solaris set up"

Just a my 2 cents worth, but just trying to get the ball rolling.

Enjoy life.

Jean-Pierre Huc
Smile I will feel the difference
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

From the vmstat output, it seems that the system is perfoming correctly. You don't have CPU or memory bootleneck.

As said before, maybe a disk or network related problem, or the application itself.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Maaz
Valued Contributor

>You don't have CPU or memory bootleneck.
>As said before, maybe a disk or network >related problem, or the application itself.

I also agree with you. and I doubt on Java is bugy... because you can see in the output of 'top', that Java is consuming/eating the cpu

Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor
Solution

Shalom,

The solaris server may have more capable hardware, especially if its running on spark based hardware.

To answer your questions:

There are plenty of problems with oracle application server on all platforms and oracle patches may be required for this specific issue.

Oracle recommends that the application and database server not be on the same hardware.

Read the app server documentation concerning java, then consult the metalink site, patches or new versions of java might be required.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

how do the machines compare? cpu, ram, bus, io connectivity, network etc.

if the solaris machines has 10 cpu's and is connected to a SAN while the linux box is 2 cpu with internal disks you don't have to look any further.
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Hi Thanks Forum, for sharing the nice points. ;)

My customer was comparing in wrong way... they were testing their set of Apps on a single Box(rhel 5.2), while in case of Solaris they do what the SEP suggest/point i.e Database and APP server on different machines

My Customer is using top of the line x864 hardware with almost 100% same specs as in their SPARC machines... so hardware is almost the same in both cases.

They just have informed me that, after following the instructions(app server and db server on separate boxes), they found that results are good, but not as good as in case of Solaris/SPARC case(or what they expect).... Now I think that some patching is required to get the good results.
I am going to call them to suggest exactly what SEP suggest
>There are plenty of problems with oracle
>application server on all platforms and
>oracle patches may be required for this
>specific issue.
>Read the app server documentation
>concerning java, then consult the metalink
>site, patches or new versions of java might
>be required.

Do you use the same disks or could the configuration of the disk different. You might want to run iostat and check it out with csvpng or tlviz. If the disk has a high queue, utilization saturated or response time is bad, all the CPU and memory you have will not matter.