Re: BACKUP-SERVER

SOLVED
Go to solution
prash_1
Frequent Advisor

BACKUP-SERVER

Dear Gurus,

I have RP-3410 server ,Disk-station DS2300
HP-UX 11i, oracle 9i, SAP installed in system.

I have another P-IV machine having windows 2003
installed in it.

My question is
1)I am tacking Ignite & Fbackup in HP-UX machine. Can I use these backups to restore in windows machine?
2)Using which utility I can take backup
in HP-UX server to restore it on windows machine?

11 REPLIES 11
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

1) No. No way to do that.

2) The only real backup utilities that might allow you to do this are the ones you pay for. Things like DataProtector, Letgato Networker, Syncsort Backup Express, etc..

Something that MIGHT work, but it is not a real robust backup utility is tar. If you install something like Cygwin on your Windows server then you might be able to create a tar file on your HP-UX and read it on Windows.

This really begs the question -- Why restore from Unix to Windows?
prash_1
Frequent Advisor

Actually I want one backup server which is
Based on P-IV machine.
I can install Red-Hat EL-3 in P-IV
Machine . or can u suggest me which OS
Will better for P-IV in order to restore backup?

thanks.
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

I agree with Patrick on this -- a compressed tar would be the easiest way to do this.

But you don't need to install cygwin to extract tar files on Windows -- winzip or 7-zip support them fine, even tars compressed with gzip.

But restoring that kind of data on Windows is useless. It could work with text files or source code, but you'll have to convert them to add carriage returns. And don't expect being able, for example, to migrate an oracle database directly from HP-UX to Windows that way. You'll need to do an export for that.

Olivier
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

You need to take a very hard look at Data Protector. It can backup and restore your Windows box, Linux box, and HP-UX box. The nice part is that you can literally combine all 3 into 1 backup session. If you have a tape library, restores are as simple as point-and-click.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Following your clarification, if I understand correctly, you just want to store your backups on a PC?

Then you have two possibilities:

1. Install Linux or Free/Net/OpenBSD on the PC, start an NFS server on it, export a huge NFS filesystem to the HP-UX box and mount it from HP-UX to store your backups.

2. Keep Windows on your server, and install the CIFS client on HP-UX. With it, you can mount a Windows share from HP-UX.

Then, use tar, fbackup or vxdump to dump your backups daily on the NFS/CIFS drive. I like vxdump but since fbackup is well documented by HP, you might be better off using fbackup.

Note: backuping a hot Oracle database requires advanced techniques; you'll really need this for your backup to be good.

If you ever need to recover, mount the drive from the PC and recover the data. But if you need to do a bare metal recovery (i.e. complete system crash), you'll need to reinstall HP-UX first.

If you have a tape drive on your HP-UX box, consider using make_tape_recovery to burn a disaster recovery image of your vg00. This will save you lots of time if you ever have a system crash.

Good luck

Olivier
prash_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all for your replies.

Is there any method to replicate HP-UX
Server to P-IV with any other os.

Thanks again.
Reshma Malusare
Trusted Contributor

Hi Prash,
I suggest you go for Data protector to backup windows box. we are also using the same & its working fine with us.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Replicate HP-UX to a Intel box for what purpose? Oracle & SAP will NOT run, no matter what OS you put on an Intel box.

Perhaps if you explained your exact purpose, we could be better help.
prash_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to all for your replies.
I have 2 RP-3410 servers one is PRD & another is DEV
We are using both servers. PRD for production purpose
& DEV for development purpose. If PRD goes down
Cluster switch over to DEV server and our production will Continue. But at this point we can├в t do any development work.

So I want to make one backup server for development server
which is on Intel based.

Thanks.