New Discussion юеВ

Backing up RH Linux 3.0 w/Oracle 10g server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Derringer
Regular Advisor

Backing up RH Linux 3.0 w/Oracle 10g server

hi,
I have local attached and SANs storage attached to this server. Currently, I 'm backing up the data (2.9 TB) from disks to disks at this time. After I backed from disks to disks, then I backed it up to a tape device. However, the process from disks to tapes is taking way too long for a 2.9TB of data. Anyone here have any experience working with Linux and Oracle 10g backup? Please share your thoughts with me.

Thank you in advance.

Ian
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Backing up RH Linux 3.0 w/Oracle 10g server

Oracle can do "incrementals backups". You can use rman to integrate with your existing backup solution.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ian Derringer
Regular Advisor

Ooops, I forgot to mention that we're currently using RMAN for the Oracle part.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Great!, so configure to use incremental backups:

http://www.cs.umb.edu/cs634/ora9idocs/server.920/a96566/rcmconc1.htm
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ian Derringer
Regular Advisor

How do I speed up the tape process? Right now, I am getting 80GB per hour on dual drives, this will take hours to back up 2.9TB - Any suggestions on tape backup?

Thanks,
Ian
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You could try using differents block sizes to keep the tape device moving. The best way to know the exact block size that gives you the best performance is testing. I don't know if your backup software allows you to specify the block size.

Also, you could use a streamig technology, where multiples drives are used for the backup. You need a library and a supported software to do that.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You should also consider that maybe you are raching the maximum throughput of the device. How much time takes your 2.9 TB backup? What is the tape device model that are you using?