1748014 Members
4327 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Backup Failures

surfcaster
Visitor

Backup Failures

Recently our backups are aborting. We use an HP SureStore Tape Autoloader.  When testing from the command line we get the following results:

green-# fbackup -0u -v -g /var/adm/fbackupfiles/graphs/buprtl.files -f /dev/rmt/1m
fbackup(1421): no history is available for graph file /var/adm/fbackupfiles/graphs/buprtl.files (below level 0)
fbackup(1004): session begins on Thu Dec 13 11:38:38 2012
fbackup(3040): output file /dev/rmt/1m encountered an I/O error
fbackup(3019): would you like to enter a new output file? n
fbackup(3022): would you like to continue this session? n
fbackup(3004): writer aborting
fbackup(1002): Backup did not complete : Reader or Writer process exit

We have run a cleaning tape and recycled power on the unit with no success. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Try a brand new tape.  If that also fails then it may be time to replace the tape drive.

surfcaster
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.  Can you recommend a more efficient way of backing up a HPUX server than using fbackup, autoloader drive with numerous DLT tapes?

Thanks

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If a new tape fails then your tape drive is bad. The I/O error is related to the media and the hardware.

More efficient than fbackup? Nope. tar and pax are much slower and have the very big problem that you can't get a list of the files on the tape without reading the entire tape. fbackup is the only free program that has the ability to call a script to change the tapes automatically. Otherwise, you can purchase Data Protector to perform the backup, change tapes and most important, keep records of all the files, directories and tapes online.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I agree with Bill.  If you don't want to use fbackup then a commercial solution is your next step.

Data Protector is HP's solution.  There are other commercial solutions out there such as NetBackup, Networker, Backup Exec, Backup Express, etc.

surfcaster
Visitor

I ended up re-seating al the cables and recycling the power on the unit and the backup is now running.  Doubt it's a permanant fix but we'll see.  - Thanks