108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup's

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

Backup's

Which one of the following should I use for the back up before the ship the server to the destination...

I have SAP running on this L Class Box and is connected to SAN.....

make_sys_image

make_net_recovery to clone the system

make_net_recovery -s hp01 -x inc_entire=vg00 -x inc_entire=vg00 -x( to take the fiull system backup

--------------------------------------------

Which one of the following should I use to swing the server to a similar hardware without downtime .. like from an L Class to an L Class

1. Using the below create the Golden Archive..

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-5309/ch11s02.html#cegbcbaf

or

use make_net_recovery to backup vg00

wat about the other filesystems... how do I take backup of the other filesystems..

So that the entire contents of System A are transferred to System B.What If I have Critical Applications running on System A..how then...

If the system is connected to a storage... how to do then...

plz advise

33 REPLIES 33
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>Which one of the following should I use for
>>the back up before the ship the server to
>>the destination...

For VG00, you can use make_net_recovery.

For the rest of the data you need to use whatever your corporate backup product is.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you use make_sys_image if you want to use an ignite server (and use the image for several installations)
Else you use make_net_recovery or make_tape_recovery.

Normally you only create this backup for vg00.
Anything else you can backup with any backup utility (for ex. fbackup). Be sure that your applications are down for this backup.

HTH
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

what are the files that I should check from the OS perspective and h/w perspective to swing the server to another N class..
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

I think this is more likely a system clone. Here is a link with basic clone process, following it can lead you to the right direction.

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-5309/ch15s02.html#bghcbdia
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

One last query..

I have a NFS mount set up... How can I use make_net_recovery to take images here at the mount.. also how to do it with fbackup..

For make_net_recovery to work.. wat s/w do I need on the Server..
Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

to make make_net_recovery work, you need ignite installed in your ignite server.
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

it makes no sense to make images from nfs mounts.

fbackup is in SAM - Backup and Recovery - Interactive Backup and Recovery -- then you need a connected backup device (tape) or use a remote backup device.

Hmmm - with make_sys_image there are some system file which are not stored, they are created new - /etc/passwd, /etc/hosts, /etc/fstab (your nfs informations)
I don't know how it is with make_net_recovery ...

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Grayh
Trusted Contributor

http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-5309/ch15s02.html#bghcbdia

from the above link I see that both mk_sys image and mk_nte recovery can be used to clone systems... each has it's own pro's & con's

I have a rp5450 and I am cloning it to a new rp5450 and move this a different place..

Which method do u think would be the best.. In any method where will the image be stored...

Do I nees to have a Different Ignite server for this or should I install the Ignite depot on each of these boxes...

Tingli
Esteemed Contributor

I still suggest using the clone method, as you can just use the existing old ignite file to build the new system. You can use a single server for the build up but you need to have the new machine and the server in the same subnet to boot it up.