108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Banner Pages Printing

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alyson Leet
Occasional Advisor

Banner Pages Printing

Currently, whenever someone prints a document through the unix print spooler, a banner page prints. I would like to know how to disable the banner page alltogether. Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Alyson Leet
8 REPLIES 8
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Re: Banner Pages Printing

Hi Alyson,

Goto /etc/lp/interface/model.orig, vi the files with the printer name and set banner="yes" to banner="".
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Use the command line option of -nb or modify the model file for the printer in /usr/spool/lp/model/

Change banner="yes" to banner="no"
Ruediger Noack
Valued Contributor

Hi Alyson,

I think it isn't possible "to disable the banner page alltogether" for all printer already defined. Each printer has got his own interface script with the name as the printers name in dir /etc/lp/interface btw /usr/spool/lp/interface.
In this scripts you have to edit banner="yes" to banner="" (all scripts I know would print the banner if banner="no").
Also you have to edit the model script you use to define new printer in the future in this kind (banner="").

Hope this helps

Ruediger
Alyson Leet
Occasional Advisor

I tried the suggestion of editing the /etc/lp/interface/model.orig/. Is there anything else I need to do in order to have the banner not print on a printer that is already establised or do I have to delete the printer and start over at the setup? I am still getting the banner page.

Thank you again for your assistance!

Alyson Leet
Alyson Leet
Occasional Advisor

Rick,

I have already done that and am currently only getting banners when printing through the unix spooler. I feel that I am missing a step here? Is there anything else in the unix side you can direct me to?

Thanks again,
Alyson
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor
Solution

If the printers are hooked up via the network and jetadmin boxes, you can telnet to the IP address for the printer. There is an option to disable the banner for the printer as well. Once telnet into the printer's jetadmin, do a "?" and you will see a banner option. 0 to disable.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Alyson wrote:

"I tried the suggestion of editing the /etc/lp/interface/model.orig/. Is there anything else I need to do in order to have the banner not print on a printer that is already establised or do I have to delete the printer and start over at the setup? I am still getting the banner page."

Make sure that the banner variable is set to "" as in:

BANNER=""

This is not expected behavior (one would assume "no" and "yes" but later in the script, the test for no-banner is "" (or -n using the test operator) and not "no" or the absence of "yes". The parameter must be defined as the null string.

If that still isn't working, make this is the right script by printing a test such as:

lp -pmyprinter -onb /etc/issue

This must be done on the system where the printer is defined. If that suppresses the banner page, then change -onb to -oyb (above) and the banner page should print again. This verifies that the script is indeed working. Now modify the script as mentioned above and use the lp command example above without any -o option...there should not be any banner page, but printing with the option: -oyb (means yes banner) then the banner should come back. If you are actually testing from another system, read the problem banner page to make sure you are working on the correct print server.

Rick wrote:

"If the printers are hooked up via the network and jetadmin boxes, you can telnet to the IP address for the printer. There is an option to disable the banner for the printer as well."

This is actually called a Burst Page and this always follws the print job because it is generated by the JetDirect card. It has no effect on the Unix banner page. The Burst Page is just a few text lines in the middle of a blank page.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Alyson Leet
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for your assistance, I am currently printing banner free!

I hope to be of some assistance to you at some point in the future!

Best Regards,
Alyson Leet