HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
System Administration
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bind: Problem in views synchronization

SOLVED
Go to solution

Bind: Problem in views synchronization

Hello,
currently, we have 2 UNIX HP-UX servers for DNS. Both servers are running over HP-UX B.11.23.
The DNS software is BIND 9.3.2.4

We have created a new VIEW called LIMSGSN03. The db file was created also.

When I restart the named process in order to synchronize the views in both servers, the new view is not updated in Slave server.

21-Jan-2011 03:14:40.190 xfer-out: info: client 10.128.2.146#54182: view FISN01ST1: transfer of 'mnc010.mcc716.gprs/IN': AXFR-style IXFR started
21-Jan-2011 03:14:40.194 xfer-out: info: client 10.128.2.146#54182: view FISN01ST1: transfer of 'mnc010.mcc716.gprs/IN': AXFR-style IXFR ended
21-Jan-2011 03:14:40.700 xfer-out: info: client 10.128.2.147#54183: view FISN01ST2: transfer of 'mnc010.mcc716.gprs/IN': AXFR-style IXFR started
21-Jan-2011 03:14:40.703 xfer-out: info: client 10.128.2.147#54183: view FISN01ST2: transfer of 'mnc010.mcc716.gprs/IN': AXFR-style IXFR ended
21-Jan-2011 03:14:40.704 xfer-out: info: client 200.108.101.4#54184: view ANY: transfer of 'mnc010.mcc716.gprs/IN': AXFR-style IXFR started
21-Jan-2011 03:14:40.707 xfer-out: info: client 200.108.101.4#54184: view ANY: transfer of 'mnc010.mcc716.gprs/IN': AXFR-style IXFR ended

I expect to see transfer to client 10.128.2.141 (for new VIEW), but it doesn't happen.

The configuration for the new view was done in /etc/named.conf and the db file for this new view was created under /etc/named.data (claro.mnc010.mcc716.LIMSGSN03)

Is it needed to configure another file in DNS servers? What is the reason to have no updated file in Slave server (Master to Slave).

Regards,

CHristian Aguilar

Christian Aguilar
5 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Bind: Problem in views synchronization

Looks like the slave does not even try to load the new view. Is it even aware of the requirement to do so? In other words: Did you restart the slave server after adding the new view to its configuration?

Does the slave server have write permission to its data directory? (If it has write permission to existing data files only, it can overwrite/update the existing files, but cannot create new ones.)

What settings are configured in file /etc/named.data/named.options? (Is one of those settings preventing communication with the master IP address of the new view?)

MK
MK

Hello friend,
thanks for your resposne. I restarted the named process in master server only. Attached you will find the named.options file.

Is it needed to have the view claro.mnc010.mcc716.LIMSGSN03 in slave server before restarting named process?

Please, could you send to me the procedure in order to both servers can synchronize the view each other?

Best Regards,

CHristian Aguilar
Christian Aguilar
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you haven't run "rndc reconfig" on the slave BIND or restarted it after adding the new view to its configuration file, the slave won't "notice" the new view at all.

Since it's not told anything about the new view, it will ignore any notify messages the master server sends to the slave.

I think you have done everything right except the final step: making the slave BIND aware of the new configuration. If you have rndc keys configured correctly, the "rndc reconfig" on the slave would be all that is needed; if you're uncertain, restarting the slave BIND is a valid method too.

MK
MK

Hello friend,
thanks again about your update.

Is the "rndc reconfig" the same than "/sbin/init.d/named stop | start" ?

I'll execute it tonight.

Regards,
Christian Aguilar
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

# /sbin/init.d/named stop
then
# /sbin/init.d/named start

will completely restart named, obviously causing it to re-read its configuration in the process.

"rndc reconfig" uses the rndc tool to tell named to re-read its configuration file without restarting. If you need to minimized named downtime, this might be useful.

But rndc will work only if named's configuration includes the "controls" statement, and if /etc/rndc.key contains the same key as in named's "controls" statement (or if you've made other arrangements so that rndc will find the correct key).

Your named.options file looks like it includes all the things required to use rndc. But since I have not seen your /etc/rndc.key, I cannot say for sure if it will work or not; restarting named will always work.

To see if "rndc reconfig" would work, run "rndc status": if it lists named's version and other information, rndc can communicate with named and send commands to it. For more information, use the command "man rndc".

MK
MK