New Discussion юеВ

Re: Boot from recovery CD or media to edit fstab

SOLVED
Go to solution
TechC
Regular Advisor

Boot from recovery CD or media to edit fstab

Hello ITRC members.

I have an HP-UX C200 running 10.20 that is hanging on boot due to a bad mount point in fstab. I believe this mount point is not on vg00 and thus not on the root disk.

If this were Solaris I would boot from the install media, mount c0t0d0s0 and edit vfstab to pound out the offending entries.

With HP-UX can I boot from the Install CD, run a recovery shell, mount /dev/vg00/lvol3 (/) and remove the offending entries from fstab?

Please provide the steps if possible. I can boot from the CD and get to the recovery shell but not sure how to mount the lvols.

Also I think the answer to this next question is no, but can I pull a disk from c360 and put it in a c200? I seem to remember the disks being different scsi standards one is FW and one is ultra wide I think.
Thank you in advance.

James

16 REPLIES 16
Analyst
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

1. Reboot the machine ,
2. choose the boot from media,
3. else interuppt the ISL and go for boot hpux -is.
4 Takes it single user mode.
5. modify the /etc/fstab entry.
6. check for the mounting.

If there is any difficulty, try for this link.
http://docs.hp.com/en/B3782-90732/ch02s01.html

Thx,
Analyst.
TechC
Regular Advisor

Thank you much for the reply.
I will try the hpux -is...
Don't know why that did not smack me in the face before. Hopefully the root disk is good, if it is then things will be ok.

Please answer this question for reference.
Can you boot from the Install CD and mount LVM volumes?

Thank you again
James
Analyst
Trusted Contributor

>:Can you boot from the Install CD and mount LVM volumes?

The question is not clear.

If I understood your question,

1. boot hpux -is - single usermode
2. boot hpux -lm - LVM maintainace mode.
3. As mentioned earlier boot using singe user mode and do the modification .

Thx,
Analyst.
TechC
Regular Advisor

Sorry for the cloudy question. I guess my question was geared more towards if my usr logical volume was corrupted, could I boot from the install media and mount the /, or /var logical volumes to copy files. I understand hpux -is and hpux -lm but those are relevant only when you have a hard disk that is bootable I believe?

At any rate thank you for your answer, I am just looking ahead to the possibility that the root disk may be failed.
I sure hope that is not the case.

Any idea on if the disk internally in a c360 will work in a c200. Is there a manual that explains the SCSI specifications in regards to the c200 and c360?

Thanks again
James
Analyst
Trusted Contributor

James ,

Iam not sure abt that,
may be you can try this link for the comparision.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=modinfo&model=C360&HP_model=

Thx,
Analyst.
Ramaprasad K
Regular Advisor

>>can I pull a disk from c360 and put it in a c200?

You can check the part no. of both the disks and if its similar(sometimes, part nos. might not be same, then check if the 'Replace with HP Part #' matches either), then you should be able to put the disk from c360 to c200.

Regards,
Ramaprasad K
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

At least on HP-UX 11.00 and above, the install CD has a recovery mode. I'd suspect the same is true with 10.20.

Booting from CD, importing, activating and mounting the vg00 is certainly possible, so you can make changes to fstab.

However, the recovery mode has a *very* limited number of commands by default. Before entering the actual recovery shell, the Install CD's recovery mode offers you a chance to load additional commands from the CD (you choose which commands to load). This is to cope with old machines with a very small amount of RAM.

MK
MK
TechC
Regular Advisor

Matti,
Thank you for the reply. Is there a kb doc that details the steps I may need to perform from recovery mode?

Thank you
James
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The ITRC Technical Knowledge Base contains a series of HP-UX Handbooks, formerly known as HP-UX Software Recovery Handbooks.

For this, you'll want Chapter 4, System Recovery. Its Document ID is "emr_na-c01037105". It describes the use of the install CD as a recovery media, its automated recovery procedures and how to use the recovery shell mode.

The Introduction for the series of documents is emr_na-c00863981. Use it to find all the other parts you might be interested in.

You must have a valid support agreement to access the ITRC Knowledge Base.

MK
MK