5453 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Booting over the network.

SR Rao
Advisor

Booting over the network.

Hi All,
I have a system at P0 prompt. The boot disk had gone bad and is replaced now. This server had its system backup on another server. Is there a way that I can boot from the backup available on that server. What are the pre-requisites and how do we go about it. (There are simpler ways, but wanted to know if we can do this!!) Thanks.

PS: Current FIRMWARE
P00>>>show version
version V6.0-8 May 18 2001 16:26:23
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Booting over the network.

The answer to your question depends a lot on how exactly the backup to that second server was made (and what version of Tru64 you're on). If the backup is on a separate physical disk on the second server and it's paritioned pretty much the same as the original system disk, you might be able move the physical drive to where the original one resided and boot from it.

More than likely I suspect you're going to have to do something like this:

- Install new disk in original server.
- Boot server from installation CD.
- Partition new disk as required and get temporary network connectivity set up.
- Restore data from copy on second server to new disk.

You might also be able to set up bootp on the second server and boot over the network, but if this is a 'one-off' event, I suspect that would be a lot more work than the other options.
Johan Brusche
Honored Contributor

Re: Booting over the network.

You can only boot over the LAN from a remote server if that server is configured as a RIS (Remote Installation Server). You need the "Server Extensions"-license on that remote server to be able to do that.

Mark's solution to boot from the CD, also requires you to to manually configure and start networking.
Once networking is establish you could use the rvrestore command.

Rgds,
Johan.

_JB_