Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1753587 Members
7206 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Btextract with ADVFS

Btextract with ADVFS

Has anyone used btextract to restore an ADVFS file set? If so, how did you do it? The file domain has three file sets. The btextract script asks for the disk name and I enter it. Then it requests a partition to restore? I chose c which is the whole partition. It restores the first file set. Then, I am asked for the next file system to restore and I enter the next file set. The script then asks for the partition to restore and I enter c again since all of the file sets reside on this partition. However, the script does not like this and won't let me restore the second file set. Is there a way to get around this? I used the interactive mode to create the tape in single user mode. My OS is Tru64 4.0F and I cannot migrate to a new version due to application requirements. Thanks for any help. I have searched a while for an answer and have not found one yet.
4 REPLIES 4
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Re: Btextract with ADVFS

you cannot say you want to restore the whole disk, you must restore separate partitions.
so giving "c" as destination for the restore is definitely the wrong answer!
The first destination partition will probably be "a".

if you use a single disk for the os
most likely "a" is used for "/" "b" for "swap" and other (probably "h")for "/usr" and maybe another for "/var"
but that info must come from your documentation of the system

swap does not need to be restored, only the partition needs to be recreated on a new disk.

if you'r not sure maybe the "default" restore option will select the default partition layout what may be good for you?

hope this helps,
Pieter

Thanks for your reply, but that won't help. I restored the disk with the OS successfully. I am attempting to restore 3 other filesystems,hence ADVFS, onto another single disk.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

i suggest somewhere in the process, btextract did not properly recreate the filedomains/filesets of your datadisks before the restore is started.
check this before restoring the data

btcreate (afaik) creates a bootable image plus backups of filesystems in the same format as dump or vdump, so when you got the OS running you can use vrestore to restore the other ADVFS-filesystems instead of btextract.

I found out the btextract process had a bug in 4.0F, and it was not resolved. I restored the partitions by using the vrestore command. Thanks for the input.