1752600 Members
3956 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CDE GUI

Bruce Eley
Advisor

CDE GUI

Ok I was messing around with the front panel and took away everything but the clock and forgot to put them back before I closed out of the application manager and shut the session down. Now I can not get to anything using the CDE GUI. Does anyone know a command that can be used to restore the front panel? What can I do to fix this?
14 REPLIES 14
AwadheshPandey
Honored Contributor

can't understand what is the problem. where do u want cde ?
Awadhesh
It's kind of fun to do the impossible
Kasper Haitsma
Trusted Contributor

Hello Bruce,

on web page http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/pub_page/V51B_DOCS/V51B_DOCLIST.HTM you can find the CDE (Common Desktop Environment) User Guide, and Advanced User Guide in both HTML and pdf format for you r reference. A shortcut might be, to compare your .Xdefaults, .dtprofile and .dt/* content with another user, or another system, or add a new user to the system, logon/logoff using CDE, and use this default environment as your starting point to rebuitlt the one you've "minimized"

HTH
It depends
Balasubramanian S
Frequent Advisor

Hello, use dtsetup to create front panel entries in your cde session. To do this login in ├в Failsafe Session├в on cde login screen and run /usr/dt/bin/dtsetup; in that you need to select the ├в Desktop icon├в to setup the front panel. After creating the front panel entries logout and do regular login.

Trust this helps you,
-Bala S
Bruce Eley
Advisor

Ok tried all of that and it still doesnt work. Is there a way to copy the configuration file from another server? If so what is the path and where should it be copied to?
Rick Retterer
Respected Contributor

Bruce,
Try telnetting into the system from a remote terminal as the "user" that you broke CDE for.

Move the .dt sub-directory to .dt-old.

Then move back to the console and attempt to login under CDE again... you should get the "default" setup environment with all of your control panel icons and controls back as if you logged into CDE for the first time.

Good Luck...

Rick Retterer
HP Services
Graphics Support
Atlanta, Ga.
- Rick Retterer

Bruce Eley
Advisor

That sounds like it just might work if I only knew the path to the .dt subdirectory.
Kasper Haitsma
Trusted Contributor

Hi Bruce,

it is in your home directory, it is hidden because of the leading "dot". After logon with a telnet session, try "ls -al"
It depends
Balasubramanian S
Frequent Advisor

Hello Bruce, the dtwm.fp contains all the entries for the front panel.
You can copy the dtwm.fp file from /usr/dt/appconfig/types/C to $HOME/.dt/types/fp_dynamic directory through failsafe login.
-Bala S
Bruce Eley
Advisor

Did the copy but it tells me there is no such file or directory as fp_dynamic