108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CDE Home Session

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

CDE Home Session

One of my users claims that, in the past, they could have dtterm/hpterm windows open and logged into other servers and, as long as they set CDE startup to return to Home Session and then saved their home session with these windows open, the windows would re-appear, logged into the other server, when they subsequently logged back in.

I myself never got such a thing to work, but I tend to believe this user and I wonder if perhaps CDE behavior was changed somewhere along the line.

Pete

Pete
21 REPLIES 21
Robert Salter
Respected Contributor

Re: CDE Home Session

Pete,

I just tried it on my workstation and used the "Resume current session at login" and did "set Home Session". Logged out and logged back in and yep, the windows I had open to other servers were there and still logged in. The GUI displays I had open were gone but the dtterm sessions were okay.

Beers,

Bob
Time to smoke and joke
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I just tried again, with both Resume Current Session and Return to Home Session selected and it does not give me back the Other Server windows.

By the way: 11iV1

Pete

Pete
Robert Salter
Respected Contributor

Ditto 11iv1.
Time to smoke and joke
Robert Salter
Respected Contributor

You did click the "Set Home Session..." button, right?

CDE 2.10
Time to smoke and joke
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

How are you logging into the other server? I tried both rlogin and our usual method that invokes an hpterm on the other server via remsh (in order to get the display set properly):

remsh $1 -n /usr/bin/X11/hpterm -display $DISPLAY -ls

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Yes, I did click the Set Home Session button.

Pete

Pete
Robert Salter
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hmmm, maybe that has something to do with it. I have my dtterms and some host sessions set up in my dtmwrc file.

I tried opening a dtterm and manually login to another server using
"dtterm -n srvrname -title srvrname -e rlogin srvrname"
Set the home session, exited and logged back in and it pops open the dtterm logged in to the other server.

I tried just using rlogin from within a dtterm, and it just opened the dtterm session on my workstation.
Time to smoke and joke
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Very interesting! Your dtterm trick worked like a charm. I'll see if it can be adapted to hpterm (just so the poor user doesn't have to see anything different - you know how users are about CHANGE!!!).

Thanks for your help, Bob, and beers back at ya!

Pete

Pete
Robert Salter
Respected Contributor

And thank you Pete! You got me a new hat!!

bob
Time to smoke and joke