1752652 Members
5620 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CDE login disconnect

Jim Naylor
Advisor

CDE login disconnect

When I login to an HP-UX 11.31 server using an Xwindows emulatore (Xwin32) from my laptop with any user that has a numeric in their password, the Xwin emulator disconnects. I have looked in the emlulator for a setting that may not allow this but I am unable to find anything. Is there anything in the HP CDE configuration that may cause this?

UserID: abcdef
Password: 2zzzz
8 REPLIES 8
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Are you able to telnet/ssh to the server and able to login with the above user ??
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Also when you are trying to login via that user, check for start.log in the user home directory.. What does it say..
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Jim Naylor
Advisor

Yes I can do all of that. If I change the users password to from 2zzzz to zzzz then the user can login using the Xwin32. It just does not like the number in the password. The usere ID can have a number in it but not the password.
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

What about the start.log

Also with the digit in the password are you able to login via telnet

Also have you tried any other emulator like Reflection-X, X-manager.. ??
Jim Naylor
Advisor

Yes. I can telnet and ssh using that user and password with the number in it. Nothing shows up in the startlog when I login using the password with a number. As soon a I press the numeric key, I get disconnected. I have use this sam Xwin32 for years on both HP-UX 11.0, HP-UX 11.11, and 11.23 and it still works on both of those operating systems. We just installed this new rx8640 configured with 2 Lpars and two VSE vertual machines running HP-UX 11.31. These are the ones I have the issue with.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

The only thing magical about 2 is that @ is shift 2, and @ and # are evil. Why not try a 4 in the password?
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

" As soon a I press the numeric key, I get disconnected."

so what happens if you use the "2" from the top row of the "normal" keyboard instead of the keypad?
Is "NumLock" on?
What settings in the emulator do you have for the keypad?
Jim Naylor
Advisor

The two was just an example. Root's password has a 3 and the other user's password has a 1. Sorry for the confusion but it does not matter which number I use or whether I use the keypad or the numbers at top. I did just check the emulator setting tab called Input and saw a box that was checked saying Enable XKeyboard extension. I uncheck that box and now it is working. Not sure why it work with this box check on 11.0, 11.11, and 11.23. But that fixed the problem. Thank You all for the help.