1752592 Members
3224 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CIFS losing connection

Rico Lebbink
Occasional Contributor

CIFS losing connection

We have a problem with Samba version 2.2.8a based HP CIFS Server A.01.10.

Sometimes its losing its connection. We have a windows share mounted on HPUX 11.11
When the application in the HPUX server has to "transfer" a lot of small files or a few very big files, it loses its connection and fails.

The syslog gives the following errors:

Dec 21 23:13:28 uxxxxx vmunix: NFS lookup failed for server sapr3: RPC: Timed out
Dec 21 23:13:49 uxxxxx vmunix: NFS lookup failed for server sapr3: RPC: Unable to receive
Dec 21 23:13:44 uxxxxx vmunix: NFS lookup failed for server sapr3: RPC: Timed out
Dec 21 23:15:01 uxxxxx above message repeats 2 times
Dec 21 23:13:54 uxxxxx vmunix: NFS lookup failed for server sapr3: RPC: Unable to receive

There are no networking problems or busy CPU.
Most of the time it works with a normal load of reasonable sized files.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Henrico
3 REPLIES 3
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Re: CIFS losing connection

It IS not SAMBA in play here sir.

You are using the CIFS Client product to mount your Windows Shares on your 11.11 machine.

What version of CIFS client do you have?

swlist|grep -i "CIFS Client"

You should be at A.02.02.02 as it fixes certain issues with Win2k8 mounts.

It may also help to run cifsclientd at a higher nice priority.

Cheers!
Hakuna Matata.
INH
Regular Advisor

Hello,
For me it looks like network issue. you may involve your network team for further investigation specialy when the time you receive alert, there could be network load.

Regards,
INH
Knowledge is power
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

No its not Network issue. Believe me or else you will be chasing your tail needlessly.

Newer versions of CIFS CLient (AGAIN this is not SAMBA) have been becoming more robust and addresses lots of issues (i,e, Win2K8 connectivity issues).

CIFS CLient under HP-UX is oem'd from Sharity Inc... There used to be a gentlement who was likely a go-between - between Sharity and HP
Hakuna Matata.