Operating System - HP-UX
1753634 Members
5627 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I increase size of the file system with out unmount only if online diag has been installed.

SOLVED
Go to solution
senthil_kumar_2
Regular Advisor

Can I increase size of the file system with out unmount only if online diag has been installed.

Hi All,

There is one HP-UX server running B.11.00.

I have checked if online JFS has been installed using following command.

#swlist | grep -i online
OnlineDiag B.11.00.20.09 HPUX 11.0 Support Tools Bundle, Mar 2002

My Questions:

1)Could you please clarify me if online JFS has been installed or not?

2)Is it possible with above bundle only , can I increase filesystem size on fly?

3)Or Is it must that I have ot unmount the filesystem and then increase the size and then mount the filesystem again?
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Can I increase size of the file system with out unmount only if online diag has been installed.

1.) No, it is not.
In HP-UX 11.00, the swlist line for OnlineJFS looks like this:

B3929BA B.11.00 HP OnLineJFS (Advanced VxFS)

(As a HP-UX sysadmin, you really should know what OnlineDiag is, and that it obviously isn't the same thing as OnlineJFS.)

2.) No, you can't.

3.) Yes.

Example:

lvextend -L /dev/vgSOME/lvolX
umount /dev/vgSOME/lvolX
extendfs -F vxfs /dev/vgSOME/rlvolX
mount /dev/vgSOME/lvolX

MK
MK
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

1) No - you should be seeing this:

# swlist |grep -i online
B3929CA B.11.11 HP OnLineJFS

2) No - you need to run extendfs which cannot be run on a mounted file system.

3) See #2

And the title of your thread says online diag - online diagnostics is, obviously, something else entirely.

Pete

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Senthil:

The 'OnlineDiag' bundle is *not* the OnlineJFS one!

If you don't have OnlineJFS (which it appears you don't) then you must unmount the filesystem that you want to resize; expand it; and then re-mount it.

To unmount a filesystem, of course, no processes can be using it. While you might use 'fuser' to kill the processes preventing the filesystem from being unmounted, it is often cleaner and easier to boot into single-user mode; use the commands in '/sbin' to perform your LVM and 'extendfs' actions; and then reboot to resume normal operations.

Lastly: You have a recently growing number of questions you have asked without any point assignment whatsoever:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/pageList.do?userId=WW220552&listType=unassigned&forumId=1

Please take the time to evaluate these threads and assign points appropriately.

Regards!

...JRF...
madhuchakkaravarthy
Trusted Contributor

hi

online diag is different from online jfs.

@ ppresent u have to unmount it to do extension

regards

MC
senthil_kumar_2
Regular Advisor

I am closing this thread