108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can I run vgscan on a server with active volume groups

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob_Taylor
Advisor

Can I run vgscan on a server with active volume groups

We are in a project to install a new SAN switch. Half of the paths on a multi path server will change. There are multiple volume groups on this server. Can I use the vgscan command to recreat a new LVMTAB file while the volume groups are up and active? Iplan to make a backup copy of the lvmtab file before running the vgscan command
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Rob:

Yes. You should carefully read and follow the caveats in the warning stanza of the 'vgscan' manpages. Upon running 'vgscan' a series of warning messages will be produced with steps to follow, too.

Regards!

...JRF...
Rob_Taylor
Advisor

Thanks.

One additional point here is that the volume groups are in share mode through ServiceGuard
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Rob,

Check below document read carefully

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-60130/vgscan.1M.html

Run vgchange -a [y|e] to activate all deactivated volume groups. For shared volume groups, invoke vgchange -x -a e to activate the shared volume group in exclusive mode

Thanks,
Johnson
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Please do not an vgscan!!! If you run vgscan in a clustered environment and a volume group is not active on the node you run vgscan, vgscan creates a /etc/lvmtab without this volume group and you have to vgimport all missing volume groups afterwards before the packages can switch. Be sure in what you are doing.
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

Check below Thread, for more Usefull information about running "vgscan" under MCSG

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=202370