Operating System - HP-UX
1752396 Members
7246 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Can NFS Share be mounted on a client that doesnt have any persmission to the share???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

Can NFS Share be mounted on a client that doesnt have any persmission to the share???

HP-UX Gurus:

I want to share one of my filesystems via NFS with a Server B. However, I notice that on Server C which is not mentioned DFS tab, I am able to mount the same share in Read Only mode. I was under the impression,  the shared  filesystem shouldn't be able to be mounted on other Server - other than the one(s) mentioned in the DFS stab. Isn't this serious security violation?

Either I have understood this incorrectly or there is something more to the syntax in the /etc/dfs/dfstab file.

My /etc/dfs/dfstab entry on master server SERVERA

share -F nfs -o root=SERVERB,rw=SERVERB /home/USERA

Why am I able to mount it on a server (SERVERC) that is not mentioned in the Master server’s /etc/dfs/dfstab?

root@SERVERC:# mount SERVERA:/home/USERA /test

root@SERVERC:# bdf -t nfs

Filesystem          kbytes    used   avail %used Mounted on

SERVERC:/home/USERA

1048576   39544 1001160    4% /test

root@SERVERC:#

2 REPLIES 2
Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Can NFS Share be mounted on a client that doesnt have any persmission to the share???

# man share_nfs

rw=access_list

Sharing will be read-mostly to clients in
access_list. Read-mostly means read-write to
those clients specified and read-only for all
other systems. If sec= option is provided,
sharing will be read-write to the clients listed
in access_list; overrides the ro suboption for the
clients specified.

If you want to restrict access to the filesystem to ONLY those clients listed in the rw= list then you need to combine the rw= option with the sec= option.  In your case it would look something like this:

share -F nfs -o root=SERVERB,rw=SERVERB,sec=sys /home/USERA

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Kennedy G. Doss
Regular Advisor

Re: Can NFS Share be mounted on a client that doesnt have any persmission to the share???

Dave:

You are the man!! sec=sys is just what I was looking for. I tested it out and I am unable to mount it on a server that is not specified in the dfstab file. Thanks for taking the time and getting back to me. I appreciate the help.

-Kennedy