5961 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can not login as root user and shows Memory fault(coredump) error

aungshu
Advisor

Can not login as root user and shows Memory fault(coredump) error

Hi,

We have a rx2660 server with OS HP-UX 11.31 and oracle 11g r2 install. The system was running fine . But from last week we can login as root. But after login if we execute any commnad , it is automatically logout. I tried using ssh and mp console also. Result was same.

But for normal user there is no problem. Even we can su to root user. And after su to root if we execute any command it is disconnected from root user and shows following error :

Memory fault(coredump) error.

I was also try with system management homepage. There is no issue to login to SMH.

As I am fail to login as root, I can not review the syslog or any kind of log for trace of the root cause of the issue.

Can anyone help me regarding this? Really appriciate for your prompt response.

BR \\ Aungshu

5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>And after su to root if we execute any command it is disconnected from root user and shows following error

>I can not review the syslog or any kind of log for trace of the root cause of the issue.

If you can't access the corefile, there is little you can do.  Do you think it is from /sbin/sh?

(I assume you tried just su and not "su -"?)

It would be interesting if you can login with single user mode but I expect the same failures, if it's due to a corrupted /sbin/sh.  But if you can, you could set the permissions of the corefile and start to debug it.

But your system may never come back to multi-user mode.

One thing a normal user can do is access /sbin/sh.  You can compute the cksum and compare to the same version on another system.  Unfortunately, I don't think it can run swverify, unless you have done swacl.

aungshu
Advisor

Thanks for your reply. After I  saw your reply I checked with su it worked. But su - was not working. Its really intersting.

Can you have further recommendation regarding this . What type of problem that failed to login to the system as direct root user or as " su - " .  I am provide you the nickel o/p in my next post  it may help you to comments regarding this.

BR \\ Aungshu

aungshu
Advisor

Hi,

Please find the attached doc for nickel o/p.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you can do su without "-" you probably have a problem with your profile and should check the contents of this file. (there was nothing attached by the way)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I checked with su it worked. But su - was not working.

Then you can analyze the core file:

file core

gdb path-to-executable core-file

bt

q

You can also run swverify and compare the checksum of /sbin/sh.

(I hope root isn't changing the shell from /sbin/sh in it's .profile.)