108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can't Ping and ssh to server after installation HPUX 11.31

SOLVED
Go to solution
Julianto
Frequent Advisor

Can't Ping and ssh to server after installation HPUX 11.31

Hi all, i just installed my server rx2620 using hpux 11.31. what i trying to do is ping and ssh to the server, but it not work. I can ping from the server to other server in one domain but when i try ping from other server in the same domain to fresh installed server it can't. But i can ssh to the server using other server in same domain.

Is there's any firewall set in version 11.31? because this problem never happen in 11.23 every time i install the server.

9 REPLIES 9
Johnson Punniyalingam
Honored Contributor

>>>I can ping from the server to other server in one domain but when i try ping from other server in the same domain to fresh installed server it can't. But i can ssh to the server using other server in same domain.<<<<<<

Check with "Netowrk" admin if "ping" has been blocked in "Network" Fire wall.

if you want to check with "traceroute" command from your you Installed server

# traceroute

>>Is there's any firewall set in version 11.31? because this problem never happen in 11.23 every time i install the server<<

NO.No

unless you take look "tcp wrappers" like

/var/adm/inetd.sec -> file . well i will not check becoz mention above on your post its fresh installation.
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Julianto
Frequent Advisor

Thanks John for the reply.
I'm sorry for my poor english :D
Let me clear this first,
let say fresh installed server is A and i have B, C, D in the same switch. i try ping from B to A it not work, so this not the firewall network admin. but from A can ping to B, C, D.

From server B,C,D i can ssh to server A.

Anyone can help me???
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Check IPfilter -- it is probably turned on and blocking a lot of stuff. Turn it off byy editing /etc/rc.config.d/ipf.conf. Also look at /etc/inetd.conf -- it seems a lot more daemons are disabled in 11.31 after a cold install.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Julianto
Frequent Advisor

Thanks bill,

After i change in /etc/rc.config.d/ipfconf

# Load the ipfilter module ?
# 1 = Start, 0 = Do not start
#
IPF_START=0
#
# Set DCA mode ?
# 1 = Set DCA mode, 0 = Do not set DCA mode
#
DCA_START=0
#
# Start ipmon ?
# 1 = Start, 0 = Do not start
#
IPMON_START=0
#
# Options to start ipmon with
#
IPMON_FLAGS=-sD

now i can ssh to server but still can't ping to the server.
Is there any guide to enable daemon after cold install?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

> After i change in /etc/rc.config.d/ipfconf

This makes the change permanent between reboots. To stop the IPfilter immediately, use this command:

# ipf -Fa

ping responses don't use a daemon -- it is part of the network driver.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Julianto
Frequent Advisor

i see, now i can ping to the server but when i try connect using xmanager i can't.

Can anyone help me? what service must be disable or enable after installation hp ux 11.31?? because i so confused this is the 1rst i install 11.31, in 11.23 nothing happen...
Abhijit P.
Valued Contributor

Hi Julianto,
In HP-UX 11iv3 you need to install the CDE from the DVD media as it is not by default.
Once you put the DVD select 11.31 CDE english enviornment and install it , no reboot required for this,once you do this you need to start the dt services using

# /sbin/init.d/dtlogin.rc start
# usr/dt/bin/dtlogin

Once this is done then you can connect thorugh xmanager
Julianto
Frequent Advisor

thx Abhijit,

dtlogin already installed in the server, and i start the service but i still can't login using xmanager..

Abhijit P.
Valued Contributor

Hi Julianto,
Is the issue resolved , if not could you check if there is any firewall blocking the xmanager port ( I think TCP port 6000 ~ 6010 used by Xmanager) if this is also okay then I think you can try re-starting the service again and check .. also once more please note that in 11.31 CDE is not by default you need to install it from DVD using 11.31 CDE english Enviornment.

Regards,
Abhijeet.