108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can the # of pv's in a vg be changed on the fly

SOLVED
Go to solution
nancy rippey
Trusted Contributor

Can the # of pv's in a vg be changed on the fly

I have a volume group with a maximum # of 16 pv's. This was created ages ago...I need to add disk to the volume group. Is there a way to vgchange the number of pv's in a vg or does a new vg need to be created and the data migrated to the new vg.

Thanks in advance.
nrip
7 REPLIES 7
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Depends on the O/S version you are on....check and see if you can run 'vgmodify' on the box.

Rgrds,
Rita

man vgmodify
nancy rippey
Trusted Contributor

Running 11i. Does not appear vgmodify exists. Darn!
nrip
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Only way you can address your hole is backup all FSes in your current VG, recreate it with more PV capacity and restore back thine data.

OR replace your PVs with bigger ones assuming you can evacuate all LVs from a PV if you have the space and replace that PV with a larger PV and continue doing with the rest of the 15 PVs. Lengthy process but at least you won't have downtime compared to the backup and rebuild approach suggested earlier.

Cheers!

Hakuna Matata.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Nancy:

> Running 11i. Does not appear vgmodify exists.

The term "11i" could mean 11.11 or 11.23 or 11.31 (otherwise known as 11iv1, 11iv2, 11iv3).

The 'vgmodify' command is intrinsic to 11.31 and available on 11.23 with patch PHCO_40920 (originally introduced in patch PHCO_35524).

Regards!

...JRF...
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Nancy,

In the past you could get a (unsupported) version of vgmodify from HP support ( http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/vgmodify/m-p/5063800#M437316 ). Not sure if it is still available or not but you might want to check.

Pete

Pete
nancy rippey
Trusted Contributor

I actually found that I do have an unsupported version of vgmodify on one of the servers. Used it 7 years ago. I hope it still works :)

Thanks for the reponse.
nrip
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

The reason that the max number of PVs is 16 is because this is the default value and is controlled by a tunable. However, I don't think that the vgmodify works on a 11.11 operating system. But on a 11.31 operating system the max no of pvs and max no of vgs can be changed and these parameters which were considered as "cast in concrete" attributes are no longer so. In fact the kernel tunable parameter maxvgs is obsolete on 11.31!

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....