cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot remove devices from HPUX 11.31 system

Melanie Leckey
Occasional Contributor

Cannot remove devices from HPUX 11.31 system

I am trying to remove devices from an HPUX 11.31 system after unmasking them from an EMC array. The unmasking caused the ioscan to give some NO_HW devices:

# ioscan -kfnNCdisk
disk 2284 64000/0xfa00/0x3f6 esdisk NO_HW DEVICE EMC SYMMETRIX
/dev/disk/disk2284 /dev/rdisk/disk2284
disk 2285 64000/0xfa00/0x3f7 esdisk NO_HW DEVICE EMC SYMMETRIX
/dev/rdisk/disk2285
disk 2286 64000/0xfa00/0x3f8 esdisk NO_HW DEVICE EMC SYMMETRIX
/dev/disk/disk2286 /dev/rdisk/disk2286

Now when I try to rmsf I get:

# rmsf -H 64000/0xfa00/0x3f8
Device at 64000/0xfa00/0x3f8 is busy. Cannot remove.

The only thing I can think of that would still be locking these devices would be VxVM. I've tried to reset VxVM and am still getting this error. Any ideas?
2 REPLIES
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot remove devices from HPUX 11.31 system

when you issue the command "bdf" can you see this devices ? if yes , you probably need to umount first then delete with rmsf . .
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot remove devices from HPUX 11.31 system

When you unmask or remove the definition of a disk LUN, you have ripped out a disk from the OS while it is running. This is fine as long as you have verified that the disk is not used by a database (especially in raw mode), not a swap area, not part of a volume group, not an alternate link or used by a path manager such as PowerPath or DynaPath, etc.

The disk is busy because something is still using the disk. You can try this:

# fuser /dev/*disk/disk228[456]

DO NOT use the -k option -- you may accidentally kill your database or some other critical program. Identify the program(s) and then shut them down in an orderly manner.

fuser is only 50% successful in finding open device files. Use lsof if fuser can't find anything. If you don't have lsof, be sure to download and install it.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin