4158 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Cannot start X graphical system, SAM quits with error message

sandorsz
Occasional Visitor

Cannot start X graphical system, SAM quits with error message

Hello,

We have a HP c3000 workstation, and the screen of the workstation was replaced.

The HP Unix 10.20 was reinstalled.

During the installation procedure, SAM was launched, and we stepped in the X Configuration part.

At this point SAM stopped with error message: (see first attached image)

X system cannot be started, in the logfile /var/dt/Xerrors there are error messages (see second attached image)

Could you assist?

7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I just check an old 10.20 server that I've got and the files in the /usr/lib/X11/Xserver/brokers/screens directory seem to come from the Xserver package.  There are several different filesets required to get all of the files that I've got.

I recommend double checking to make sure that the Xserver package got installed.

# swlist -l fileset | grep Xserver

Here is what the listing from my HP-UX 10.20 server looks like:

# swlist -l fileset | grep Xserver
# PHSS_23535                            B.10.00.00.AA  Xserver cumulative patch
  PHSS_23535.PHSS_23535                 B.10.00.00.AA  Xserver cumulative patch
# Xserver                               B.10.20        HP-UX X Server
  Xserver.AGRM                          B.10.20        Graphics Resource Manager
  Xserver.DDX-ADVANCED                  B.10.20        X Server Dynamic Advanced Drivers
  Xserver.DDX-ENTRY                     B.10.20        X Server Dynamic Entry Level Drivers
  Xserver.DDX-FREEDOM                   B.10.20        X Server Dynamic Freedom Drivers
  Xserver.DDX-LOAD                      B.10.20        X Server Dynamic Driver Loader
  Xserver.DDX-SAM                       B.10.20        X Server/SAM X0Screens Help Files
  Xserver.DDX-SLS                       B.10.20        X Server Dynamic SLS Drivers
  Xserver.DDX-UTILS                     B.10.20        X Server Dynamic Driver Utilities
  Xserver.DDX-VRX                       B.10.20        X Server Dynamic VRX Drivers
  Xserver.X11-SERV                      B.10.20        X Server       
  Xserver.X11-SERV-MAN                  B.10.20        X Server Man Pages
  Xserver.XEXT-DBE                      B.10.20        X Server Dynamic Dbl Buff Ext Drivers
  Xserver.XEXT-DBE-MAN                  B.10.20        X Server Dynamic Dbl Buff Ext Manual
  Xserver.XEXT-MBX                      B.10.20        X Server Dynamic Multibuffering Drivers

sandorsz
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for your advice, I will test it.

In the meantime it turned clear that the graphics card in the compter is a "Visualize-FX5 Pro PCI Graphics Card" ,
and it needs a software bundle 

Workstation ACE for HP-UX 10.20 (December 1999) B6825AA Graphics Enablement Bundle

I cannot find this bundle in anywhere in the HP websites, and also on the internet.

How could I obtain this bundle? I think my employer would buy this if necessary.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

10.20 version has been obsolete and unsupported as of 2003 (15 years ago). That puts it in the same realm as Windows NT... HP (now known as HPE) took down images, patches and CDs for purchase more than 10 years ago. So even if you wanted to pay for the license and media, HPE doesn't have it for sale.

Your best option is eBay or similar used computer equipment sites. I did not see any media older than 11.00 on my search. A better alternative may be to purchase a replacement workstation (with a guarentee that it boots and runs OK).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Here's a possibility: http://www.hpmuseum.net/exhibit.php?swc=28

This link points to archives of HP-UX software, from version 8.07 to 10.20.
You can request a download link from the HP Computer Museum: http://www.hpmuseum.net/

It doesn't appear that the ACE CD is available but the X package may be in the Install or Support Plus CDs.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
sandorsz
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

Thank you for your advices, I executed the list command that you recommended, and the output was
exactly the same as your reference output that you inserted here in the forum.

I also contacted the museum, and dowloaded the ISO file of the Support Plus CDROM

I did a "grep -r "6825" . "   in the root of the CDROM, but it did not find any mention of this
ACE among the files.

I attached the screenshot of the list of the root of the CDROM.

Which patch should I apply?
Which one contains the ACE needed for FX5?

Thank you in advance for your answer

Kind regards
Sandor Szabo

sandorsz
Occasional Visitor

On this webpage the ACE B6825AA is the part of the CDROM.

But I cannot see it in the root of the CDROM.

All the other packages that are mentioned in teh document, are there as root level folders.

https://www.hpe.com/global/softwarereleases/releases-media2/latest/sp/sp54noti.htm

I am amazed. What do I miss?

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The ACE B6825 CD is a collection of new (in 1999) drivers and subsystems. The contents of that bundle was apparently rolled into the Support Plus CD (which is good) but the B6825 number won't be there.

Copy the ISO file you downloaded to a CD, then insert it into your workstation. Login using telnet and make sure you turn this command:

# unset DISPLAY

Then run swinstall in character mode and go through the listing of drivers and bundles. There should be some items with the Visualize name. 

This manual may also be useful:

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/home/item/download/1196_b4cb26b43594db1d558b733c90cf0b8e

Bill Hassell, sysadmin