Operating System - Tru64 Unix
1751750 Members
5061 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change Root Password on several systems.

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Palmer_5
Occasional Contributor

Change Root Password on several systems.

Would there be a way to change "Root" password on several system without having to log into each one? I'm a little new to TRU64 and have a bunch of systems that need Root changed once a month. Security with password over the network isn't a big issue.
7 REPLIES 7
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No . you have to login to each machine to change the root passwd
never give up
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

or you configure NIS and change the password global via yppasswd.

If you use 5.1B you can also configure/use an LDAP server.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

Just a comment on Ralf's suggestion. It is NOT a good idea to serve your root password with NIS! If you have a network problem and your root password is served by NIS root can't login and fix the problem!
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

In case of an network error nothing doesn't work within a modern company....
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Joris Denayer
Respected Contributor

Hmm, the root password on NIS. What happens in single-user mode ?
To err is human, but to really faul things up requires a computer
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

You should be able to get on to the system in single user mode, even if you have sulogin set (requires root password to get to single user mode). Normal single user mode doesn't require a password. With sulogin set it will require the root password, unless it realizes that it can't get to the root password. sulogin was implemented this way deliberately, so that you could still get into single user mode to fix the system if your /etc/passwd file was missing or corrupted, for example.

This doesn't mean that its OK to remotely distribute the root password, though. I wouldn't want to have to explain to a user that I had to force a crash of the system to get it into single user mode in the middle of his three day job because the network/NIS got hosed somehow and I couldn't log in to fix it!
Jorge Briseno
Solution

You can create a script and create a file with all the servers (hostnames) you want to change the password and do a rshell to each one of them and modify the password.