1748140 Members
3637 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Change WWNN and WWPN on Linux HBA.

VINY
Occasional Advisor

Change WWNN and WWPN on Linux HBA.

How do I change the WWNN/WWPN on my Linux HBA? I am currently replacing my HBA's and thought it would be easy to retain the OLD info.

Layout:
Redhat ES 3 Update 3 -> Qlogic qla2300 -> Brocade 24000 -> XP1024 = 2TB.
Projects Smawjects
6 REPLIES 6
SJO EGGER
Regular Advisor

Re: Change WWNN and WWPN on Linux HBA.

hi
a.f.a.i.r you can├В┬┤t change the WWNN/WWPN on a hba. make changes on your brocade switch/fabric and present the XP to the new hba.

regards
Tony Berry
Valued Contributor

I've seen very few cases where the HBA hardware would allow changes to its WWN. It's very much like allowing changes to the MAC address of an Ethernet card or the serial number of a machine.

That being said, I have seen some tools out there to change such critical component ID's. They are obviously NOT supported and can be detrimental to use.

If you are using the Brocade GUI management software, it allows aliasing of WWN's and it should be no big deal to change the WWN that the alias points to. That's what we do when we replace a bad HBA in our Superdome going to our XP1024.
Unix is boss.
VINY
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I will need to update the cfg on the brocade as well as the xp1024 to reflect the new changes. I do know that you can change the wwn info on redhat qlogic cards though.
Projects Smawjects
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

Do you use zoning here. In that case the the new WWN need to be updated on the zone group and you may have to reallocate the LUNS too.

As berry said, you may try alias. Both of you have the XP1024. But not sure if it is supported in LINUX.Cross check with HP
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

Berry,

If you are using the Brocade GUI management software, it allows aliasing of WWN's and it should be no big deal to change the WWN that the alias points to. That's what we do when we replace a bad HBA in our Superdome going to our XP1024.

what kind of zoning you use there? The alias concept wont help if it is a WWN zoning.You might be using a port zoning.
VINY
Occasional Advisor

Sure, re-zoning or updating the alias is the way. But I was wanting to find out if there was a way to change the WWN on the Linux host itself.
Projects Smawjects