1753777 Members
7378 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change owner to few user ids

unixadmin_1
Frequent Advisor

Change owner to few user ids

Hi Guys, Please reply with a proper solution with task mentioned below from one of the client....A number of user IDs (7%) had still not been assigned to specific owners. These IDs might therefore be shared by a number of staff members, with the result that it would not be possible to assign accountability for actions taken by way of such user IDs. Furthermore, if a user ID is not assigned to a specific owner no one could be held responsible for ensuring that the password is changed or that the confidentiality of the private login password is maintained.

Thank you

28 REPLIES 28
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

So what is the task?

Pete

Pete
unixadmin_1
Frequent Advisor

Task:

do we need to take information like user ids and owners from the client in order to change owner for specific users

Thank you
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Hi Unixadmin,

It looks like you got some feedback from security auditing team to fix some of the issues. I might be wrong.

Anyway, we are not able to understand the task which you need to complete. If you could clarify little more details of what you need, we try to help you out...
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
unixadmin_1
Frequent Advisor

The above mentioned sentence is a issue from the cleint and i need to assign few user id's to the owners which should be specified..chown is a command and can you elaborately explain the command if i got user ids and owners specified.

Thank you
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

I did not understand either, in HP-UX when we create a user, a user ID will be bound to it, we usually don├В┬┤t create user├В┬┤s IDs without creating a user first.

Then the chown command is used to change who is the owner of a file, then again, here the system already got defined a user and its user ID. Of course we can have several user share the same user ID, in which case all of them will have the same rights, because unix only sees the user ID and not the name of the user that we specified.

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.
unixadmin_1
Frequent Advisor

ur not understanding one thing here..if we got information of userid's and owners specified can we write the script to change or assign owners to specific userids...Thank you
Ganesan R
Honored Contributor

Ok. This is the chown command syntax.

#chown file/dir

#chown username:group file/dir

#chown -R username:group dir
Best wishes,

Ganesh.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

>>assign owners to specific userids

I'm still not clear on what you want to do.

The 'chown' command changes the ownership of a FILE or DIRECTORY. I don't think this is what you want to do.

What do you mean by "change the owner of an id"? Are you looking to have a specific person listed as the ID's owner in the GECOS information for the id in /etc/password?

For example:

user1:x:1000:100:MICKEY MOUSE:/home/user1:/bin/bash
user2:x:1004:100:MINNIE MOUSE:/home/user2:/bin/bash
www:x:1009:100:GENERIC USER:/home/www:/bin/bash

Given the users above, MICKEY MOUSE is the owner of user1 and MINNIE MOUSE owns user2. No one owns the www user. Is this where you want to "assign owners to specific userids"?

For the www user would you want something like:

www:x:1009:100:DONALD DUCK:/home/www:/bin/bash
change owners

what is understood by below mentioned statement?

A number of user IDs (7%) had still not been assigned to specific owners. These IDs might therefore be shared by a number of staff members, with the result that it would not be possible to assign accountability for actions taken by way of such user IDs. Furthermore, if a user ID is not assigned to a specific owner no one could be held responsible for ensuring that the password is changed or that the confidentiality of the private login password is maintained.

Thank you