108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Change printer destinations?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin Robinson
Frequent Advisor

Change printer destinations?

I have a load of 'remote' printers defined, where the remote hosts are given as IP addresses. I want to change the remote host name to a name, resolved using /etc/hosts, so that when we move the printserver, I don't have to redefine all the printers.

I thought I could do this with lpadmin:
lpadmin -pPRINTER1 -ormPRINTHOST
and although it succeeded (or did not report an error), SAM still says my printer is on xx.xx.xx.xx, not on PRINTHOST.

How can I do this without having to delete and reenter all the printers using SAM?

So this is really an lpadmin question, I think, unless there is a file I can edit.
4 REPLIES 4
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Simlpy edit the config file for each in;

/var/spool/lp/interface/

Each one has the line;

PERIPH=

Simply modify it, stop and start lp and youre done. Easy to do with a script if you have tons of printers (use sed).
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Stefan is correct. Just to add a small note, you can use the hostname in the "PERIPH=" line instead of the IP address.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Martin Robinson
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, guys, this a REMOTE printer not NETWORK.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

I very seldom use SAM for printers but this should work:

I. SAM -> Printers and Plotters -> LP Spooler -> Save / Restore Spooler Configuration -> Actions -> Save Spooler Configuration

2. Exit SAM

C. cd /var/sam/lp
edit the file, lpinfo, and make any changes to the remote printer lines that you like and save the file.

IV. SAM -> Printers and Plotters -> LP Spooler -> Save / Restore Spooler Configuration -> Actions -> Restore Spooler Configuration

----------------------------

The actual lp data is stored in /var/spool/lp/pstatus but it's a binary file so that editing would require C or Perl.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.