8946 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Changing the IP address in HP-UX 10.20

Mauro_8
Frequent Advisor

Changing the IP address in HP-UX 10.20

Hi,

I logon as root and gave the command set_parms ip_address, then I sent the new IP address. When it ask me to reboot now I answer no.
I test with "nslookup my_host" and the IP address has changed to a new IP address as I wanted. After these steps I made two more commands: "/sbin/init.d/net stop" and then "/sbin/init.d/net start" here is the problem, the HP machine "crash" and the CDE became break and I have to power off the computer. Is this right ? When I change the IP address I have to reboot the HP-UX 10.20 computer ?

Cheers,
Mauro
8 REPLIES 8
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing the IP address in HP-UX 10.20

man ifconfig
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Mauro_8
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

But with ifconfig I think when I reboot the system it will return the old IP address or not ?
If I setup with ifconfig it still working until a reboot. Am I right ?

Cheers,
Mauro
Mauro_8
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

If I use ifconfig I have to do "/sbin/init.d/net stop" and then "/sbin/init.d/net start" ?

Thanks,
Mauro
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

ifconfig is indeed for now, not for always. For the future go to sam or /etc/rc.config.d and look in netconf
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Mauro,

I think you were fine originally except you should have re-booted when set_parms asked you to. That's the beauty of set_parms. It handles all the little details without you having to have extensive knowledge of them.

Pete

Pete
Mauro_8
Frequent Advisor

thanks all,
Mauro
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

You should ALWAYS reboot after changing the IP, because applications might have issues that they can't deal with.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi Mauro,

Check the lan network parameters in /etc/rc.config.f/netconf file. I think the change of ipaddress has not been reflected in this file and that is the reason your CDE crashed. The change got effected in /etc/hosts file, but not to the lan conf file.

Hope this helps.

Regds