4694 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Changing the ulimit value

paabhi
Frequent Advisor

Changing the ulimit value

Hi All,

We got a request from apllication team to change the ulimit value for a user.

$ ulimit -a
time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) 1048576
stack(kbytes) 131072

The data value has to be changed from 1GB to unlimited.Is this recommended.What will be the impact..

The total memory in server is 8 GB
I believe the ulimit value is related to "maxdsiz".Currently maxdsiz is set to "0x40000000".Please correct me if i am wrong.

If we want to increase data value to 2GB, do we need to increase value of "maxdsiz" also.

Abhilash
4 REPLIES 4
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing the ulimit value

Hello,

On HP-UX you cannot increase a soft limit above a kernel imposed hard limit. So if you have your kernel parameter maxdsiz or maxdsiz_64bit smaller than the one you impose for your user, this value from the kernel will be imposed.

Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
paabhi
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Currently the value of "maxdsiz" is set to 1GB.If I am changing that to 2GB will have a reverse effect ??
Horia Chirculescu
Honored Contributor

This segment contains data storage for globals, arrays, statics, locals to main(), strings and space allocated through malloc().

maxdsiz affects only the 32-bit processes. So playing arround with this value would have nothing to do with 64 bit processes for which maxdsiz_64bit setting matters. If the process your application team is talking about is 32 bit, then this setting would have the expected behavior.

"reverse effect" ? Not sure what you mean, but it will just let your 32bit processes use more memory for data storage.

Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>I believe the ulimit value is related to maxdsiz. Currently maxdsiz is set to 0x40000000.

Yes.

>If we want to increase data value to 2GB, do we need to increase value of "maxdsiz" also.

Yes, you must increase to 2 Gb. Existing users may have to log off. Not all 32 bit processes can use more than 1 Gb.

>Currently the value of maxdsiz is set to 1GB. If I am changing that to 2GB will have a reverse effect?

That will just allow it to go to 2 Gb for new user logons.

>Horia: if you have your kernel parameter maxdsiz or maxdsiz_64bit smaller than the one you impose for your user, this value from the kernel will be imposed.

Right. And maxdsiz_64bit must be >= than maxdsiz.