Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing sfm.log and dat file under data protector

NDO
Super Advisor

Clearing sfm.log and dat file under data protector

Hi All

Hi have a two hugefiles namely:

• log file sfm.log under /opt/sfm/log, that has become huge and made /opt become 100%,
  • /opt/omni/newconfig/var/opt/omni/server/db40/dcbf1/0a011417_50f569bd_545a_0001_510
    BFDB3.dat

Please How can I clear the sfm log, and because  I dont have a lot of skills on data protector, would it be a good idea to clear old sessions to reduce the size of the dat file?

FR

2 REPLIES
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Clearing sfm.log and dat file under data protector

Your Data Protector question needs to go into the DP board:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Data-Protector-Support-and-News/bd-p/itrc-251

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Clearing sfm.log and dat file under data protector

I am surprised that there is a log file under /opt.  Normally all log files are kept in /var.  On one of my 11.31 systems there is a /var/opt/smf/log directory, but no log file under /opt/sfm.

The first thing I would do is check and see if the log file is in use.  Do this with:

# fuser -u /opt/sfm/log

If anything is returned then the file is in use, otherwise it isn't currently in use.

If you just want to empty out the file you can do:

# cat /dev/null > /opt/sfm/log

As far as the file in /opt/omni is concerned, that really shouldn't be there either.  The file is under /opt/omni/newconfig which is typically where template files are kept for use in setting up a new DP configuration.  Rarely should anything change in that directory.  All regular files under /opt/omni/newconfig on one of my servers have the original DP date on them from when the software was set up for packaging by HP.

If the file really is in use on your system, it should be moved to a different location.  Typically this is the /var/opt/omni/server/db40/dcbf directory.