9781 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cloned System Disk Update

Srivathsan
Frequent Advisor

Cloned System Disk Update

Hello,

I have cloned an ES40 with System disk in SAN ( HSG80 ) to another ES40 with internal system disk.

Now, i need some help in knowing what all system/user files do i update from the live to the cloned one on a daily/weekly basis.

I would want to have comprehensive list of files say for eg., /etc/passwd , /etc/printcap..etc..

Ofcourse i would not want to overwrite the entire /, /usr and /var from the live to the cloned disk.

And yeah..I am running Tru64 Unix Version 5.1 with C2 security.

Thanks
Srivathsan
4 REPLIES 4
Abdul Rahiman
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cloned System Disk Update

It all depends on what changes you make on your primary system and what the cloned system is used for. It's difficult to make a list of files without knowing what the cloned machines is used for. If you want it to be identical to the original machine, yo should copy any config. files that you change on your system.

If you add a lot of users and pritners to the system, you have to copy the hosts and printcap files. But it doesn't end there. You also have to create the user's home directories, printer spool directories etc.. to get any benefits from this copying. If your intention is just to have a backup cloned system disk, you should do something like lsm mirroring of the system drive.

Also look at tools like 'rsync' which can update the filesystems remotely in an incremental fashion.

regds,
Abdul.
No unix, no fun
Srivathsan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks,

Could somebody please give me a working example for rsync in Tru64 Unix.

I checked the web sites and understand that it is a freeware.

Also, is it reliable and found to be working fine without any issues with Tru64.

Any and all inputs on the setup/configurations are welcome.

Srivathsan
Abdul Rahiman
Esteemed Contributor

I think rsync is part of Tru64 opensource collection. You can find more info from the following HP website,

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/demos/ossc/man-html/man5/rsyncd.conf.5.html.

I don't have a working example on Tru64 for this, but I do run a command like this on a Linux system to synch directory toa nother machine using SSH tunneling,

export RSYNC_RSH=/usr/local/bin/ssh
/usr/local/bin/rsync -a -v -p -o --delete /project/www/ resin@host-prod2:/project/www/

Once you install rsyc, man rsync will give you a lot of info.

regds,
Abdul.
No unix, no fun
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

cloning a system disk to a tottaly other system is not supported if not using the way described within the best practise.

You will loose the support of your machine from HP support center if any problems occures.

Btw. be sure you have entered the license information or you have an illegal copy of Tru64!

Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }